Bought three Beers last night, very disappointing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klainmeister

Reaction score
So last night on a whim i decided to brew. Yes, making a coffee stout at midnight, always a good choice. So my buddies and i ran to the store to get some beers to drink whilst brewing and bought a 6 of Buffalo Bills Pumpkin Ale, New Belgiums 2 Below, and Pete's Wicked Cream Ale.

What crap! The pumpkin ale was like drinking a bmc spiced with allspice and clover, 2 below just isn't distinct, and the cream ale just taste bland to me without any real 'cream' aspect to the ale.

What do you guys think? Out of me and my two friends that were here, we couldn't even finish a single six pack.

/end rant

Sorry to hear that. I don't buy 6 packs of any micro I have not tasted before. A friend owns a wine bar that has 10 micros on tap and about 350 in the fridge. He let's customers build their own six pack for $7.99 so it is easy to sample single bottles. I've sampled plenty of beers that I won't buy again.

Klainmeister said:
So last night on a whim i decided to brew. Yes, making a coffee stout at midnight, always a good choice. So my buddies and i ran to the store to get some beers to drink whilst brewing and bought a 6 of Buffalo Bills Pumpkin Ale, New Belgiums 2 Below, and Pete's Wicked Cream Ale.

What crap! The pumpkin ale was like drinking a bmc spiced with allspice and clover, 2 below just isn't distinct, and the cream ale just taste bland to me without any real 'cream' aspect to the ale.

What do you guys think? Out of me and my two friends that were here, we couldn't even finish a single six pack.

/end rant

I kinda like the Buffalo Bills Pumkpin. I hated Harvest Moon's Pumpkin and there was one other that was worse. Maybe I just haven't had a "good" one yet :D

I haven't had the other 2 on your list.

I fully agree on the Buffalo Bills. I ended up giving half the six pack away.
Had some of the 2 below from last season this summer, it was actually past the expiration date and I thought it was excellent. Mine had a ton of hop aroma and is the beer that actually got me to try dry-hopping.

Haven't had the other one.

I haven't had 2 below; I think BB's pumpkin ale is one of the worst commercial examples (wtf do they use in the recipe...50 sticks of cinnamon? I wanted beer, not Big Red, you assclowns!); I've also never had Pete's Cream Ale, but I've gotta say, none of their beers have ever done much for me. There's something weird about them...strangely harsh, but bland at the same time.

Sorry for your loss!

2 below was the best of the three, it just wasn't awe-inspiring like some of the other NB brews.

Give Dogfish Head's Punkin a try sometime. Good stuff. The best Pumpkin I think I've had was from Stewart's brewpub in Bear, De.

Also helped that it was $1.50 per 20oz mug day! BrewCrew number 251!

+1 on hating BB's Pumpkin!:mad: I received it one month many years ago when I was a member of Beer Across America. One of the very few six-packs I could not finish. Literally tried to give it away to anyone who would have it. After that, I swore off pumpkin beer of any kind for many years. It took getting a pumpkin beer from Pumbaa in one of the first HBT beer swaps to get me back to appreciating pumpkin beers!

Haven't had the other two. Haven't had anything of Pete's in years. I like NB, but never found any of their beers to be awe-inspiring, just good 'gateway' beers. I think their marketing is better than their beer!;)

AS far as new belgium goes, they are ok. I drank a lot when I first moved back to the states and had no HB. Mainly, I didn't have a good beer store in town, so they were the best I could get. They did the job, but they aren't even close to a true belgian. Barely any esters.

My bad on the cream ale definition. I'm just used to copying Mr. Cheesefoods Caramel Cream Ale and assumed that that fit into the style. Nonetheless, even as it does fit the style, still just not that good of a brew in my mind.

I don't know, it's been quite a while since i last drank because i have been on a strict workout and health regiment, maybe it's just ruined my palate a little bit.

Latest posts

Back