Mash Paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
I have been looking to get a mash paddle because my plastic spoon just doesn't cut it. So, off to the internet I go to find that I have two options: stainless or wood. I'm not sure which would be better to use. My my thoughts on the stainless paddle are that they are very strong, but would get very hot very quickly. I am using a sanke keg to mash in, so I don't have to worry about carving up a cooler with stainless. The other option, wood, is also very nice looking. the wood paddles come in many different styles. I see so many different cutout designs and was wondering if they make a difference. The price of the ones online makes me want to make my own paddle, but I'm not sure what shape to make it. If I make a stainless paddle I will probably just slot a tube and bold the paddle blade on. If I go with wood, I need to know what shape to cut it out as. Any thoughts, explanations, and pictures would be appreciated.

Since I never win anything, and know I won't win the giveaway :rolleyes:, I just ordered this one: Stainless.

I don't have it yet, so can't comment. But the price seemed cheaper than what I was finding other places, and shipping was free with my prime membership. Also saw this which could ship free too: Wood Paddle, but 42 inch seemed long and 24 inch seemed short.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I picked this up..."

My first thought was how you will never get the crawfish smell out of it. Then I realized you're in Milwaukee.

I picked this up http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgy/R-202039052/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&AID=10368321&PID=3925582

Drilled some holes in it with a hole drill bit, tried it at my buddies house with his recent AG batch worked like a champ and for the price it's way better than buying one for like 30.00

I did the same thing. Drilled holes and sanded it all smooth. Works great :mug:

1ff7484f.jpg

I just realized that my spoons in my kitchen are made from bamboo. Has anyone tried making a mash paddle from bamboo?

Back