Need help with souring question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimirie

Reaction score
I posted this question awhile back and have yet to get a reply, so I'm trying a new thread.

I've searched around the board and have read many anecdotal stories of how people have sour mashed their beers. It's usually "I took some of this and added that and left it for about a day or so..." This gives me some good direction. But here's how I think I'm going to proceed with my sour fruit beer.

Make a 7 gallon batch (expecting to lose 1 gallon on the fruit so I'll actually bottle 6) as per normal.

Pre-boil, take 3 quarts of the final wort. Let cool to around 125*, throw in 1/2 lb 2-row and seal in a gallon jug. I'll wrap it in a sleeping bag and place it in front of a sunny window (sorry it's Florida. I can't turn on the heat and use the heat vents). [QUESTION #1 How long should I let it sit? I've heard everything from 15 hours to 2 days. People say "taste it and you'll know." Problem is, I've never made a sour fruit ale before so I'm not sure I will know how much sour will balance the rest of the wort I'll be adding the sour wort to.]

After souring, strain out the grains and boil the sour mash for 30 minutes. Return this wort to it's wort family in the primary fermentor and proceed as normal.

Please comment on how you think this might work out in terms of quantities, time, temps, etc. As always, I'm humbled by the knowledge floating around this board!

For reference, I'm attempting a sweet 'n sour fruit ale in the fashion of a pLambic Lindeman's Framboise.

Is there any reason you are against just doing a traditional sour mash? I think what you are saying will work but I also think a sour mash would be easier to control. If you just want some sourness and don't want to mess with growing your own lactic character you can just add lactic acid to taste after fermenting.

Back