Apfelwein Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaker33

Reaction score
Hey all,

I made a batch of EdWort's Apflewein a few weeks ago and was wondering what the final gravity should be? I modified the recipe only slightly, I used light brown sugar, instead of corn sugar. It has gotten clearer, but it's still about the same color as Apple juice, and there aren't many bubbles coming out of the airlock.

Just looking for some input, as this is the first time I've made the stuff.

Thanks,

Mark

My last batch finished out at 0.994 using the Montrachet yeast. If you used a different yeast, then you may not get it down that low.

I just bottled mine at 1.000 and I used nottingham give it time and it will clear. Took abount a month for mine to get to where I could see through the carboy.

I've found that clarity on the wildly famous apfelwiein recipe (and it is great) depends more on apple juice used vs yeast. Taste that stuff after 4 weeks and no matter the clarity you'll want it in a bottle....

I've found that clarity on the wildly famous apfelwiein recipe (and it is great) depends more on apple juice used vs yeast. Taste that stuff after 4 weeks and no matter the clarity you'll want it in a bottle....

Yup we did a batch with organic apple juice brewed 6 mos ago, bottled 5 mos ago ... STILL not clear. The batches we've brewed in the last 3-4 mos w regular juice look and taste better. Not sure whats with the organic stuff. :confused:

I did mine with the original recipe and its been in the carboy for 6wks. Its pretty clear but i have read a post that said you should be able to read a newspaper through it and its not that clear yet (hasn't seemed to gotten any more clear in 3weeks). I am also stuck at 1.014. Any suggestions?

I did mine with the original recipe and its been in the carboy for 6wks. Its pretty clear but i have read a post that said you should be able to read a newspaper through it and its not that clear yet (hasn't seemed to gotten any more clear in 3weeks). I am also stuck at 1.014. Any suggestions?

What strain of yeast did you pitch into yours? This seems kind of high, unless you added some unfermentables? :mug:

Yeah, sounds like you mashed too high.... BADA BING! Sorry, couldn't resist.
Anyway, the only two things that could really affect this recipe is fermentation temps being in an unfavorable range and the choice of the yeast itself. This is assuming that you used a good juice WITHOUT preservatives and corn sugar.

Back