First Time Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gresc

Reaction score
Folks, All of my kegs are filled and I have extra ingredients so I need to brew! With the exception of my first kit, I have little experience bottling.

I always transfer to a secondary and let my beer age for a while. Typically a month or more depending on the type of beer.

So, I'm making an irish ale and will transfer to a secondary. My concern is that there's not going to be enough yeast left to naturally carb the beer in the bottles.

PS I used wyeast irish ale yeast 1084; I'm thinking the ABV will be about 4%. The OG was 1.044, it's currently fermenting.

gresc said:
My concern is that there's not going to be enough yeast left to naturally carb the beer in the bottles.

I'm not sure what flocculation is like with that strain of yeast, but I'm guessing there would still be plenty of suspended yeast to provide carbonation. If you have any doubt, I'd suggest cutting your secondary time down to two weeks, and simply condition in the bottle longer.

Better yet, buy another keg. (Or two...or four! Come on, you know you wanna...)

I leave my brew in the secondary until it's sufficiently cleared, which normally is no longer than two weeks. Then it's off to the keg or bottles, where it is allowed to age at least another month.

I hear ya, it's just that I have no more room in the kegerator.Anyway, thanks we'll give it a shot.

Yea I agree I always let my beer sit in secondary for roughly 2 weeks give or take a day or two. Most styles are sufficiently clear by then and there is lots of yeast left to carbonate. Just adjust the sugar (or what ever you are going to use) to suit the ammount of carbonation you get. I typically use 1 - 1 1/4 cuppa corn sugar - but I like my beer with lotsa carbonatiion.

There'll be plenty of yeast left for carbonation. I had an Oktoberfest that I left in the secondary for 4 months. It took an extra week or so to fully carbonate, but it did carbonate just fine.

Back