Hailing from Pittsburgh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, new brewer here. I've been interested in brewing for a while, my dad and two of my brothers have been at it for a year or two so I decided it was time to get in on the fun! I am a transplant nurse so I have a certain personal pride to preserve in maintaining sanitary procedures. I have in the past been a vet tech, worked in a greenhouse, and maintained the microbiology lab in college so I have pretty much worked with all of the major classes of life.
I bottled my first brew four days ago. It was a Brewers Best english brown ale kit. I followed the recipe mostly correctly except for overshooting my dilution water and ending up with a 1.040 OG instead of 1.045. I fermented in my basement which has been about 58-60 degrees. Two weeks primary then one week secondary. My FG ended about right at 1.010. When it came time for bottling I couldn't resist making a tweak. The night before bottling I made a tea of 16 oz water with 2 crushed cinnamon sticks and about 4 tablespoons dried heather boiled to sanitize then held at 165 for about 30 minutes, strained and refrigerated overnight. I used this tea with my priming sugar before bottling. Four days in and I couldn't resist trying one (in the interest of science of course). I think I am going to be pleased. The bottle gave the faintest hiss when I cracked it. The beer is clear dark amber with no head or visible carbonation. The flavor is moderately malty with a slight tartness, just a hint of carbonation on the tongue, and a faint cinnamon aftertaste. The aroma is sweet, mildly floral with a hint of cinnamon.
I am calling this one Firstborn Brown Ale because it is my first brew and because I am expecting my firstborn child, a girl, in a few weeks. If it turns out well I will be passing out home brews after the birth instead of cigars :)
My brothers and I are planning a brewing competition to be tasted this summer on our family camping trip. We decided to each brew an IPA and will have the womenfolk (not including my daughter) sample and vote for the best. :mug:

I read every word...but only cause you're from Pittsburgh ;) ...

Welcome to the site! Lotsa yinzers on board!

Read it too. Welcome. Go Steelers!
th_terrible_towel_smiley.gif

Actually, I'll tell you what nobody reads. Those long-ass signatures detailing what you have in every fermenter or bottle or keg you own.

Walker, I just laughed so loud I woke everyone on my first floor of my hotel.

Yep, I read it too, Sounds like an adventurous way to start your homebrewing career. Best of luck with your newborn on the way and if you are having the womenfolk judge the IPA then go easy on the bittering hopps. Most women like a tamer flavored beer:cross: (At least tho ones I know)

i'm currently around pittsburgh also, studying at pitt. go stillers, but only for the riots :tank:

Latest posts

Back