Here's my stash for this evening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
I stopped off at World Market last night and picked up some brews for this evening. I've got the day off tomorrow and I'm going to be hitting up some druck chat, playing Wii, and drinking some mighty fine brews (L to R - Orval trappist, Cave Creek Chili Beer, Warsteiner Premium Verum, Arrogant Bastard (x3 bought - I love this stuff), Chimay Grand Reserve, Stone Smoked Porter, Stone IPA (x2), BitBurger, and Trois Pistoles):

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

Chili beer with the Chili floating around. I put tobasco on most things that I eat, but DAMN that was hotter than I expected. This was the first Chili beer I'd ever had, and I expected it to be MUCH more mild than it was. This beer was freaking spicy!

IMG_0644.jpg

I took these pics earlier this evening and as I type this, the Chili Beer, 1 22 oz of Arrogant Bastard and the Chimay Grand Reserve (with some help from SWMBO) are all gone.

I think it's going to be a good night.

Suggestions on what I should try next?

Nice, you got some of my favorites in there. So now the big question. Are you gonna drink them all tonight? trios is awesome.

You've hit the motherload!

PS, I love the Highlights magazine in the 3rd pic :)

I'm going to give it the old college try, but I underestimated the 9% effect (or is it affect :drunk: ) of drinking 80% of the monster bottle of Chimay Grand Reserve would have on me. That bottle cost me $11.49, btw - but it was worth every penny. I've wanted to try it for a long time but was held off by the price tag. Now I'm going to have to try each of the other Chimay varieties that my World Market has as well.

The Grand Reserve tasted so ordinary for a 9% trappist that is was absolutely amazing (not sure if that makes sense or not, but I'm trying to say that it drank like a 4% beer, not a 9% beer. SWMBO even had two glasses and she's normally a BMC drinker - but she's slowly coming around)

I just opened the Orval and it's much lighter than I expected, but I must say that it tastes great, although I think it would be more drinkable if it had a bit less carbonation. That's a trappist for you though.

DaveyBoy said:
You've hit the motherload!

PS, I love the Highlights magazine in the 3rd pic :)

Ya well, I have 4 kids. :cross: They like to do the 'find it/hidden item' puzzles, what can I say?

The other Chimay's are not near as good, IMO. If im gonna buy one its the blue label. but its only 8.99 at my liquor store.

Ryanh1801 said:
Nice, you got some of my favorites in there. So now the big question. Are you gonna drink them all tonight? trios is awesome.

The Trois Pistoles is the only one that I'm thinking about saving for another time. It's such an incredible beer that I hate to drink it at 2 or 3 in the morning as a nightcap when I'm toasted.

It's easily in my top 10 of all commercial brews. It's truly incredible.

Brewing Clamper said:
If your SWMBO is drinking with you, you can always give the old edmund fitzgerald a try... :D

I took a break from drinking and tried that already, it didn't work damnit.

I think I would like to try it. I've only had Rogue Chiplote Ale and I was dissapointed. I like Rogue a lot, but that beer was weak.

Bitburger:

It's almost translucent in color in my glass - so clear in fact that this almost has to be a pilsner (I'm not sure if it's a pils or a lager - it doesn't say on the label).

Aroma is somewhat bitter, almost clove-like. The finish is clean and again directs me towards a pilsner. It has a bit of a hop -bite in the finish.

Overall it's pretty ordinary as far as I'm concerned, but it's enough of an improvement over BMC that they should take notes.

Yuri_Rage said:
I had that particular chili beer once. I couldn't finish it. I like spicy, but that was over the top for me.

Nice selection otherwise!

Like I said earlier... I put Tobasco on just about everything I eat, and I use much hotter sauces on a regular basis. Maybe it's because this was the first chili beer I've tried, but I agree with you Yuri, this is a bit over the top.

If I'm eating a burrito I'd love this amount of spiciness, but in a beer I want it more subtle.

Damn all you people with World Markets and big cities & crap... I'm out in the boonies, and I'm stuck between BMC, Sam Adams, Twisted Tea, and a couple local micros (Sea Dog & Shipwreck)... tonight was a 6 pack of SA Octoberfest (3 each for me & SWMBO), and a pint of 12% Apfelwein... right now I'm taking it a little slower with a jack & coke...:drunk:

Needless to say, I'm druck, but I'm jealous of the World Market now...

Adolphus79 said:
Damn all you people with World Markets and big cities & crap... I'm out in the boonies, and I'm stuck between BMC, Sam Adams, Twisted Tea, and a couple local micros (Sea Dog & Shipwreck)... tonight was a 6 pack of SA Octoberfest (3 each for me & SWMBO), and a pint of 12% Apfelwein... right now I'm taking it a little slower with a jack & coke...:drunk:

Needless to say, I'm druck, but I'm jealous of the World Market now...

SWMBO is hooked on the raspberry and blueberry brews that Sea Dog makes. They were all over the place when we went to FL, but we can't find them anywhere at home in OH.

ohiobrewtus said:
SWMBO is hooked on the raspberry and blueberry brews that Sea Dog makes. They were all over the place when we went to FL, but we can't find them anywhere at home in OH.

Yeah, my SWMBO is addicted to the Raspberry also... my local food mart was out tonight though, so we went for the Sam Adams...

ScubaSteve said:
12% Apfelwein? What did you do to it?!

too much... LOL... after my neighbor tasted my last batch, he asked if we could get it any strong, so this batch is 2 pounds dextrose and 2 pounds cane... should come out about 11 or 12... needless to say, it's a kick you in the pants pint now... ;)

Up until last weekend, I thought world market only sold expensive furniture and ugly knick knacks for SWMBO to decorate the house with. But then I saw the wall of beer! I ended up there because a friend had bought me a bottle of chimay grande reserve for my birthday and saw the world market price tag. I ended up making my own 6 pack. I gotta say, I think the chimay is the best beer I've ever tasted. No way does it taste like 9% ABV.

Ryanh1801 said:
The other Chimay's are not near as good, IMO. If im gonna buy one its the blue label. but its only 8.99 at my liquor store.

I agree with you on the Cinq Cents, but the Premiere (Red Label) is just friggen amazing, esecially if you let it age for a bit of time. I had a bottle a few months ago I had sitting around for almost a year, it was amazing.

I've heard though that in some places in Belgium you can get 20 year bottles of Grand Reserve. That is probably amazing. Anyone have any idea where to get/how much they cost?

I would have to argue with you guy and say that the Cinq Cents is by far my favorite. It's the best triple I've had so far. The blue was good but the Red is bad. I could barely drink the thing. I could drink Cinq Cents all night if the alc. didn't effect me as much. And Bitburger is a Pilsner and one of the best selling ones in Germany too. Right now it's my daily drinker until my HB is ready. The $15 for the case of 0,5L cans helps too.:D

Back