Splitting Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reibrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone

Right now I have 10# MO, 3oz ekg, and a pack of s-04. I was going to use it all in a 5.5 gallon smash but I'm considering doing two ~3 gallon batches instead. To better focus on hitting temperatures and such, my last batch was my first ag biab and my temperature was way too high on the mash in.

Question is, with just one pack of s-04, I'd be able to make a batch, bottle, and throw another batch right on the yeast cake right? I'm not confident in washing my yeast yet and I figure this is the way to go

You'd probably be better off using 1/2 pack for each of your brews. A whole pack into 3 gal of ~1.040 wort is over pitching a bit; 3 gal of ~1.040 wort onto the resultant yeast cake is over pitching quite a bit. My $.02

I agree with logdrum, mrmalty pitching rate calculator says you need 5 grams of dry yeast for a 3 gallon batch with an OG of 1.045.

Hey everyone

Right now I have 10# MO, 3oz ekg, and a pack of s-04. I was going to use it all in a 5.5 gallon smash but I'm considering doing two ~3 gallon batches instead. To better focus on hitting temperatures and such, my last batch was my first ag biab and my temperature was way too high on the mash in.

Question is, with just one pack of s-04, I'd be able to make a batch, bottle, and throw another batch right on the yeast cake right? I'm not confident in washing my yeast yet and I figure this is the way to go

use a half pack of yeast for each brew.

Back