Starting to keg - what do I need

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrewBrew

Reaction score
I'm sure this thread has been brought up before, but I did a search and couldn't find results. I'm looking at starting to keg, and from what I've found, the cheapest way is going to be going w/ a corny system. Herein lies the start of my quest for knowledge.

What equipment do I need to start kegging using cornies? Pictures, links to sites would be beautiful. A little step by step would be nice... and maybe one of the site moderators can add this to the FAQ in the Keg/bottling section (so that it can be easily accessed by fellow brewers looking for the same info... without having to repost the same Q)

Thanks guys

FrewBrew

Lets put it this way, my local HBS has a FULL keg setup for 200 that I could afford, but I'd like to get something for less than that if at all possible. I can afford more... but I'm not looking for something insane (I just want to get started)

I've got a single valve regulator I'll sell you for $35 (shipping included). I'm running 4 kegs on one and they're all doing great.

Thanks for starting this thread! Although I'm just starting with brewing, hubby is already dreaming about beer on tap. I've been looking at all the threads on kegging, and I think it's a great idea to have a "kegging for noobs" sticky. Like the OP, I know I can purchase kits, but I like the challenge of putting something together myself.

My montra on all things related to equipment but especially cornies is "check out the scrap yards" At a buck a pound you can get a lot of kegs for $200!

chillHayze said:
That's the cheapest I've seen even with shipping. Ordering 3!

Shipping to my area is $13.77 for one keg. That's a $30 keg. For 3, the shipping is $24.69 which equates to a $24 keg.

Those $20 kegs I'm buying next week keep looking cheaper. I might go ahead and pick up 4.

www.brewersdiscount.com
I ordered the 2 keg complete package, but got the ten pound CO2 tank instead. About 200 bucks when it arrived at my front door via UPS. I just wish now I wouldn't have bought 4 cases of bottles......
Bottles anyone????

Ol' Grog said:
www.brewersdiscount.com
I ordered the 2 keg complete package, but got the ten pound CO2 tank instead. About 200 bucks when it arrived at my front door via UPS. I just wish now I wouldn't have bought 4 cases of bottles......
Bottles anyone????
Too bad shipping costs so much, I'm currently scrounging for bottles.

Couple questions:

1) Does anyone sell towers w/o faucets pre-installed? aka a cylinder with a flange and some holes drilled in it. I'm looking at the black ABS ones b/c of cost, theme, and insulation properties.

2) What is actually needed to connect the beer line to a faucet (through a tower, not a door shank)? the faucets in question are: Shirron Fwd Sealing.

3) Do I need a faucet wrench or will some common wrench do?

Thanks all!

It was 200 bucks total, shipped. I think that's pretty decent for all of that stuff. Ten pound CO2 tank was brand new. Dual regulator and all the other stuff you need.

Ol' Grog said:
Your joking, right? Just look around.

I know the 8" fits, but there are different sizes of ball lock kegs. All kegs are not created equal.

I measured my fridge and it looks they'll fit if i modify/remove the tray on the bottom.

Back