Uneven carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redking11

Reaction score
So my first batch came out ok, but some bottles are more carbonated than others. I primed with DME and just poured it into the bottom of the bottling bucket then siffoned that beer on top of it then stirred gently before putting the beer into bottles, but I'm guessing the DME didnt get evenly spread, however, I dont want to get to much air into the beer. Any suggestions? pour the DME on top maybe?

Boil your priming sugar/DME in 2 cups of water, cool, add to bucket, rack beer into bucket.
Pez.

+1 to the above. Always boil the DME first - not only does this give you a liquid solution that is easier to mix in, but it also makes sure that your DME is sanitized.

You should follow what Pezman1 suggested, which sounds like the process you did the first time around. Boil water with the DME in it, let it cool, add to your bottling bucket, then siphon your beer into the bucket afterwards. Make sure your siphon is submerged and spraying such that a "swirling motion" happens. It should naturally mix up your priming DME with the beer.

I like to gently stir as well to make sure it gets mixed, just make sure you don't aerate. If you did everything properly, your beers may just need more time in bottles before they are all fully/evenly carbonated. If it's only been a few weeks in bottles, the carbonation may improve in time.

I did boil the DME in 2 cups water first, and added the mixture to the bucket, still didnt get a very even mix

Back