Belgian Wit .fermentation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pizza Man

Reaction score
Man this is an awsome hobby! I'm on my second beer and it is a Belgian Wit out of Charlie Papazians book. My first beer a True Brew Irish Red Ale turned out perfect.It went by the book took about 48 hours to ferment. My Belgian wit is still in the primary and bubbling about every 30 to 45 seconds and it has been in there about 9 days. I was under the impression this one would take a little longer but how long should I expect until I can rack to the secondary. The temp has probably been anywhere between 64 and 70. I think the yeast was wyeast 3944 but I could be wrong. Thanks in advance for the advice!

right on bro. congrats! Each recipe you brew you do is going to act a bit differently. Just feel each one out and when you see that its stopped fermenting, wait a day or two more and then rack. And you say you could be wrong about the yeast....well make sure you take good notes, you're going to make an absolutely great beer soon and your going to want to replicate it

Now you know you have become really hooked when you sit there staring into your fermentor while taking the occasional whiffs out of the airlock.

:mug: cheers and heres to many more brews ahead of you

Chimone said:
Now you know you have become really hooked when you sit there staring into your fermentor while taking the occasional whiffs out of the airlock.

You ain't the only one!

I have my son and daughter (both under 3) trained now to follow me to the closet and check on the Apfelwein each night when I get home. We watch the bubbles in the airlock and the carboy and take a bid smell, like it's an American Beauty.

It's a beautiful thing...

Pizza Man said:
My Belgian wit is still in the primary and bubbling about every 30 to 45 seconds and it has been in there about 9 days. I was under the impression this one would take a little longer but how long should I expect until I can rack to the secondary. The temp has probably been anywhere between 64 and 70. I think the yeast was wyeast 3944 but I could be wrong. Thanks in advance for the advice!

I've had a belgian wit in primary for almost two weeks, and it's still bubbling a couple times a minute. They take longer than most, I think. The best cure for impatience is to brew another batch! :mug:

Latest posts

Back