Hey HERMS Guys!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabeb25

HE of who can not be spoken of.
Reaction score
How do you guys calculate your mashing rates with your wort in your Hex's?

For instance you have a 25ft coil in your HERMS and you want to mash at 1.5qt/lb?

I'm not following you.

You pump your wort through a coil that is submerged in hot water for HERMS. I'm not understanding what the length of the coil has to do with mash rate...

(Actually, I don't know what "mash rate" means)

I'm thinking he is assuming that 25' x herms coil diameter holds X number of ounces that is not in the grains at any particular point in time? Similar maybe to dead space under a False bottom. I have no answer here just trying to see if I understand.

He's discounting the volume in the HEX from the qt/lb ratio. Which doesn't make sense, as it's circulated through, thus considered part of the effective volume.

I don't think any adjustments are necessary.

Here is what I am asking.

If you have for instance a 25ft coil for a herms hex, you will have the hex full of wort while mashing (since you are recirculating). However since that coil is full you are not mashing with it like a standard single infusion. So if you mash in at 1.25qt/lb you have to take into account the wort that will be out of the mash in the hex.
I am wondering if/what people do to account for this "loss".

Sorry for the wording.. and yes you guys are correct. I have never done anything about it.. but this popped into my mind last brew session

OK. I see what he's asking. I don't think you need to make any adjustments either. It's a question I would have never even thought to ask to be honest.

You're thinking too much, man. :mug:

I'm guessing that what you are asking is how much to compensate the water/grain ration to account for the volume contained in the HERMS coil, hoses etc. The extra volume will not be much. Probably only a quart or less in most cases. This is a trivial amount and nothing to worry about, so I wouldn't change anything. The exact ratio is not at all critical IMO. Eyeball the mash when using the system and make adjustments the next time based on your observations. Depending on the system design, you may find that you can decrease the ratio with larger batch sizes. OTOH, most times I just go with 1.5 qts/lb regardless of batch size.

Since the entire volume moves through the grain throughout the mash, I see zero justification for adjustment.

Thanks Guys,
I figured as much.. but had one of those "hmm, have I been doing this wrong the whole time" moments.

Back