Using Oxyclean Free to clean out kegs ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I'm back home now and getting ready to keg some beer & Apfelwein. I have 4 reconditioned kegs from Morebeer.com and they look pretty good. The gaskets have been replaced and inside looks fairly decent and clean.

I took apart the valves and pulled out the dip tubes. They are still sticky. I want to soak them in a hot Oxyclean Free solution before reassembly.

Any idea on a water to Oxyclean ratio and how long a soak? Thanks.

EdWort said:
I'm back home now and getting ready to keg some beer & Apfelwein. I have 4 reconditioned kegs from Morebeer.com and they look pretty good. The gaskets have been replaced and inside looks fairly decent and clean.

I took apart the valves and pulled out the dip tubes. They are still sticky. I want to soak them in a hot Oxyclean Free solution before reassembly.

Any idea on a water to Oxyclean ratio and how long a soak? Thanks.
Any "oxyclean" benefits will be gone within a few hours of mixing. After that you are merely soaking your part in cooling water.

I also use 1 tbsp per gallon, and soak for 1/2 to 2 hours. I also rinse very thoroughly before sanitizing, but admit that I don't know if the rinsing is really necessary. (It certainly doesn't hurt.)

-a.

That's good to hear. I use Oxy for all my buckets ang glass carboys but have not used it in my kegs because of what I read. This will make things easier now.:ban:

Latest posts

Back