Cold Crashing...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
So I brewed my a Golden Ale/Kolsch almost two weeks ago now. It was a partial mash. I let the brew ferment for 8 days at 66 degrees then moved into my garage where the brew now sits at 40 degrees. I have heard this is called "Cold Crashing". Other people I have talked to have other names for this method. I am wondering what "Cold Crashing" actually does to the beer. Does it just break down the fermentation? Does it just clear the beer while still in fermentation? Should I use a secondary and if so why?

(I looked this up under the wiki and did not see anything)

This is my first time "Cold Crashing" and I am just trying to understand why this method works well when trying to make a Golden Ale/Kolsch.

Any info would be great, thank you.

- Brian

Typically cold crashing is used to clear the beer after fermentation is complete. You put the beer in a cold garage or refrigerator for a couple days which allows more yeast to fall out of suspension than if it remained at room temperature.

Between cold crashing and irish moss, my beers are pretty clear. Also a good time to add gelatin if you use that to clear up your brew.

Might be worth saying (and this is from experience) that cold crashing for extended periods isn't awesome for bottling. Yeast will drop out of suspension and your bottles may not carbonate properly.

Might be worth saying (and this is from experience) that cold crashing for extended periods isn't awesome for bottling. Yeast will drop out of suspension and your bottles may not carbonate properly.

I've cold-crashed a batch for three weeks @ 40° with no detriment to bottling; if you are concerned that they won't properly carbonate, you can add some dry yeast at bottling time.

I use the secondary meathod (corney keg) to achive clearer beer...after about 10-14 days in sec. I cold crash for about another week at 40-45* then rack to another (corney) and slow carb for another week...

BINGO!!!! :rockin:

Personally I would leave it at your primary temps for 3 weeks, then move it to your garage for a couple days for cold crashing. That will let the little yeasties keep working on cleaning up your beer. During cold crashing they will go dormant and fall out.

Well I am keeping it that way I have it. Its going to be in the garage for another 2 weeks at 40 degrees. I have been told by someone who did this and they loved the brew they made.
I want the beer as clear as I can get it.

Well I am keeping it that way I have it. Its going to be in the garage for another 2 weeks at 40 degrees. I have been told by someone who did this and they loved the brew they made.
I want the beer as clear as I can get it.

It'll work great for the Koelsch - it'll be crystal clear and develop some of the lager characteristics that are typical for the style.

Wonderful...I am going to brew another batch this coming Monday.

What do you think about putting it into a secondary for a week?

Wonderful...I am going to brew another batch this coming Monday.

What do you think about putting it into a secondary for a week?

I would transfer it now, and lager it in the secondary (maybe with some gelatin). Koelsch yeast gets stirred up very easily with only minor agitation, so getting it off the yeast is a good idea if you want to get the most out of cold conditioning.

Really...transfer now??? Hmmm maybe I will do what I have planned with this batch.
The batch I want to brew Monday I may go about moving it into a seconday.

I also plan to bottle condition this beer for many months to reach the right flavor.

Koelsch is a fairly light beer that's typically drunk quite young - there's really nothing in there that would benefit from aging it in the bottle. Once it's carbed it should be good to drink.

People I have talked to that have made this type of brew before told me that they found a 6 pack 6 months after brewing it and it tasted 10 times better.

Latest posts

Back