Beer Road Trip questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfish83

Reaction score
A buddy and I will be road tripping from Baltimore to New Orleans. Along the way we are stopping in Louisville, Nashville and Memphis.

Any suggestions on breweries to visit/beer to purchase along the way in West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi or Louisiana?

Also, I hear the drinking laws in Mississippi and Tennessee allow the passenger to drink. Is this true?

Thanks.

A buddy and I will be road tripping from Baltimore to New Orleans. Along the way we are stopping in Louisville, Nashville and Memphis.

Any suggestions on breweries to visit/beer to purchase along the way in West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi or Louisiana?

Also, I hear the drinking laws in Mississippi and Tennessee allow the passenger to drink. Is this true?

Thanks.

Not sure about MS or TN, but there are loose open container laws in LA (i.e. drive through daiquiri bars). A piece of paper on the end of a straw constitutes a closed container.

Man... You'll miss Beer City, USA 2012... Asheville, NC! Can't speak to the other cities on your planned route but would suggest an alternate that passes through NC.

Safe travels!

Man... You'll miss Beer City, USA 2012... Asheville, NC! Can't speak to the other cities on your planned route but would suggest an alternate that passes through NC.

Safe travels!

Seconded! Asheville, NC is a wonderful city to stop through for beer, nevermind the absolutely beautiful scenery to get there.

First, I'm not a lawyer, so no legal advice here, etc. Second, it's been a while since I bothered to research this stuff. That said...

In TN state law allows an open container, but there are muni laws which prohibit it. So in downtown Nashville it might be illegal but on the interstate it may be legal. In college we always just roadtripped it with a cooler full of beer, but were never pulled over. I've also had little trouble with cabbies letting me in with an open, but again, ymmv. Finally, after being the sober driver for a couple buddies flasking their way through Disneyworld, nothing is more aggravating than some drunks partying in the car while you're trying to watch the road.

Memphis is very thin for craft beer. Ghost River is a local, and High Cotton is a new startup - not sure how available they are. Nashville is better, with Yazoo, Jackalope, Turtle Anarchy, and Fat Bottom all in city limits, along with brewpubs Blackstone and Bosco's. Depending on when you're coming through, three of those four may be closed to the public, as they have more-or-less weekend hours, so check online for sure. My favorite beer bar in Nashville is 12th South Taproom: wide selection, but not so big you'll get a beer that's been in the lines for a month, knowledgeable staff, good food. There's a Flying Saucer downtown that has a big selection as well.

Forgot about them! Brewery is outside Nashville but you can find their beers in town. They do some good stuff but are pretty inconsistent.

Seconded! Asheville, NC is a wonderful city to stop through for beer, nevermind the absolutely beautiful scenery to get there.

Thirded! It may be out of the way...But a drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway and hanging out in Asheville is completely worth the time. My personal favorite is Green Man.

+1 to Asheville. Knoxville offers Downtown Grill and Brewery, Smokey Mountain Brewery, and Marble City Brewing. There are also some good bars if you'll be going through.

Back