Help With "Top-Cropping" Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeWI

Reaction score
I used a liquid yeast for the first time in my last batch and it's a "top-cropping" yeast (Wyeast 1272). After 10 days there's around an inch or two layer of yeasty foam on the beer that doesn't look like it's going anywhere soon. If I rock the carboy slightly I can see yeast "streamers" break off from the foam and dissolve downwards into the beer.

I'm worried that it'll get mixed in when I rack to bottles after 3 weeks in the primary, and I'll end up with very yeasty beer. And that there's a lot of trub stuck in the foam that will get mixed in, too. I'm tempted to try to stir the yeast in so that it floats down to the bottom.

Anyone have experience with top-cropping yeasts? Should I even be worried about it or just rack from that bottom like normal and whatever mixes in will drop out in the bottles? Or should I try to skim the yeasty foam off (not easy in a carboy)? Also does anyone collect and wash top-cropping yeasts? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

All you have is krausen that isn't going away. It's not bad. It's not going to adversely affect the flavor of your beer. The worst thing you could do is start trying to stir up the beer. Rack as normal.

I'm not sure what you think "top cropping" is or what you define as a "top cropping yeast". I don't think of 1272 as a yeast you need to top crop. I don't think you are going to find an easy way to top crop in a carboy. Certainly you could wash from the trub.

I'm not sure what you think "top cropping" is or what you define as a "top cropping yeast". I don't think of 1272 as a yeast you need to top crop. I don't think you are going to find an easy way to top crop in a carboy. Certainly you could wash from the trub.

From reading here and at http://hbd.org/uchima/yeastzone/topcrop.html I define top-cropping yeast as yeast that flocculates up to the top of the beer instead of to the bottom of the container after fermentation. This is different that the dry yeasts I've been using up to this point (S-05 and Notty) so I'm looking for tips on racking and and if I need to do anything special to avoid getting the floating yeast/trub in my beer.

Rack as normal.
Will do. Thanks.

Mike

Can you cold crash it for a couple days? That usually drops any residual stuff on the top of my beers to the bottom quickly. Just keep it as cold as you can but still above freezing once fermentation is done.

All ale yeasts are "top fermenting" where-as lager yeasts are "bottom fermenting". 1272 is an ale yeast. All you have is krausen and it is normal. Leave it alone. It will drop somewhat and will not hurt anything. Rack as you normally would.

Rock that sucker and the krausen will fall. Get it as close to freezing for a few days and you'll have clear beer, ready for bottling.

Some yeasts form a meringue-like krausen. I just used a Kolsch yeast that created some serious fluff in my carboys.

Latest posts

Back