Storing bulk malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I'm going all grain and I wanna do it big time! The only place that I have to store the stuff is in my garage which is very dry and protected but unheated. If I store the malt in something like a dry water container will the quality be affected at all?

Probably best to store it unmilled....I just keep all of it my basement in old cat litter buckets.

If it were my garage, I would be extra certain that critters couldn't get into the grain. That could be a problem in my garage.

FWIW, I bulk store grain in the basement, in it's original bag, inside another heavy duty plastic bag, inside a plastic bin.

My wife brings me home the apple buckets from the restaurant, food grade 4.4 gallons they work great. I also use 5 gallon buckets from the Tractor supply store nice lids with a heavy rubber o-ring seal in the lid.

Due to lack of space in my townhouse, I store my grains in the garage. I use Vittles Vaults, and the size I have (that I can't remember off the top of my head) fits a 25 kg bag of grain without any issues. I have four of them sitting on Metro Shelving to keep it off the ground.

I also have some other grains in 5 gallon plastic buckets, and the specialty grains I keep in Good Grips clear plastic containers (the ones with the push-button locking lid).

So far, no rodent issues, but I am anal about vacuuming up any grain spills immediately.

I'm more curious about it being in a garage without heat susceptible to winter temps than I am about keeping it dry or rodents. Thoughts?

I'm more curious about it being in a garage without heat susceptible to winter temps than I am about keeping it dry or rodents. Thoughts?

I would think that cold would be better than heat when it comes to storage. Something along the lines of a "cool, dry place"... Some people keep their grains in a fermentation chamber, FWIW.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Latest posts

Back