Chinese Five Spice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobInIndy

Reaction score
Anyone ever use this in a beer?

I'm about to add a 1/2 cup of Coriander/Chinese Five Spice tea to my wit. It's been in secondary for about three months due to a amazingly orange-bitter flavor.

1/2 cup water
1/2 oz coriander
2 tsp CFS

interesting. what is in that 5 spice tea exactly? I'm not familiar with it at all. Asian market?

greetings from terre haute! :mug:

I don't know about the tea, but Chinese 5 spice is a mix of anise, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and star anise.

Yeah, I just boiled 2tsp of the Chinese Five Spice and 1/2 of the corriander in a 1/2 cup of water for a few minutes, strained, cooled and dumped into the beer. It's been in for about four or five days now...haven't tried it yet.

Hold on...

Still pretty bitter...but better. Maybe more would do the trick. Does anyone have a good way to counteract a horrendously bitter flavor from the orange peel? I got too much of the pith during zesting.

I'm not sure that adding more spices will do anything to cover bitterness. You really want sweetness to balance that out. Maybe add some lactose?

Back