When to oak, when to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ungoliant

Reaction score
Okay so soured a gallon of Old Ale after primary fermentation (FG 1.024) with bottle dregs out of a Wicked Weed Amorous right before New Years. The gallon has steady activity and is down to 1.020 already.

I have some Hungarian oak chips I will be soaking in port wine to add to the gallon at some point.

Do I want to let the souring finish before I oak? How do I know when the souring is finished? When should I bottle it and how do I know the souring is "done done?"

I followed the timeline as laid out in this brew bubbas podcast on demystifying bewing sour beers, I can't find my notes on when he said to, but I followed his timeline of when to add my oak spiral (I hung mine inside with sanitized fishing line.)

In fact I'm due now to add the old hops and fruit.

If I recall, I brewed and fermented the beer with standard yeast, then a month later I added the oak spiral along with the bugs... but you'll have to listen to the podcast to make sure.

Brew Bubbas Radio

I was here for this podcast, they recorded two live at my homebrewshop, I was the guest in the next episode. (I think I ask a question in this episode.) I got to taste his sours and they were amazing.

I followed the timeline as laid out in this brew bubbas podcast on demystifying bewing sour beers, I can't find my notes on when he said to, but I followed his timeline of when to add my oak spiral (I hung mine inside with sanitized fishing line.)

In fact I'm due now to add the old hops and fruit.

If I recall, I brewed and fermented the beer with standard yeast, then a month later I added the oak spiral along with the bugs... but you'll have to listen to the podcast to make sure.

Brew Bubbas Radio

I was here for this podcast, they recorded two live at my homebrewshop, I was the guest in the next episode. (I think I ask a question in this episode.) I got to taste his sours and they were amazing.

I'll have to listen to that pretty soon. I still have to go get wine and such.

I've been poking around the intarwebs and I was thinking of adding the oak chips and just waiting until activity has ceased and there's a stable gravity for ~1month before I bottle.

I don't expect the gravity to drop drastically low but I don't think aging on oak for ~6months is gonna hurt this old ale much. Technically it's keeping with the traditional take on the style.

Latest posts

Back