Will 'chill haze' bottle condition out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksosh

Reaction score
Just a quick question, and getting overwhelmed with the 'chill haze bottle condition' search results that aren't what I'm looking for:

If I have chill haze in my blonde ale (didn't dry hop), but it's only been in the bottle a week (I know, i know, wait 3... I like to compare as the process goes along), will the chill haze ever bottle condition out of the beer (as more yeast and stuff falls to the bottom), or will it be around no matter how long it sits in the bottle?

The main reason I'm asking is because I'm planning on re-brewing a similar recipe before the '3 weeks in the bottle time' on my first one, and am not sure if I should tweak my process based on the chill haze I see now after 1 week in the bottle.

For more info: It's mostly 2-row, with a little vienna and caramel 60 for coloring, and NB hops. Sat in primary for 23 days in the mid to upper 60s, no clearing tank, using safale 05. Also used irish moss, and chilled wort with an IC that took maybe 45 mins to get to 70.

Thanks! I'm going to read up on what I can do to nip it in the bud on my next batch (i.e. cooling wort faster), but I brewed this as a contest entry and wasn't sure if I was screwed for the clarity points. Thankfully I can bring the bottles with me the day of the contest, which should be enough time to let them carb up, and chill them for a couple more weeks.

Wait wouldn't true Chill Haze only be visible if the bottles were refrigerated? Which they wouldn't be while conditioning? Chill Haze should reverse itself at room temperature correct?

Wait wouldn't true Chill Haze only be visible if the bottles were refrigerated? Which they wouldn't be while conditioning? Chill Haze should reverse itself at room temperature correct?

Yes. As the name implies, chill haze is only present when the beer is chilled. You can have a crystal clear beer at room temperature, but if it's got chill haze, it'll get hazy when it's cold. That does get better with long cold conditioning.

Ok. Forgive my n00biness but isn't most conditioning done ambient not refrigerated? If so how would a chill haze be visible? Wouldn't it just be cloudy beer possibly from a poor hot break?

The chill haze I was referring to happened when I chilled one of my beers, which had been fermenting at room temp for about a week, for about a day in my fridge. This is how I knew there was chill haze.

Latest posts

Back