dip tube resource?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for where poeple have purchased their dip tubes or where they have bought the materials. At this point i would like to go Stainless. I'm assuming thats 1/4 tubing?? I will also entertain the idea of using copper.

I would think this would be the same tubing to put on the inside as a return tube.

let mw know what you guys have done.

I think 1/4" will be way too small, and from what I've seen most people use 1/2". I used copper because I'm cheap and I already had it on hand.

IMG_6425.jpg

I've seen a lot of people on here that use the SS one from bargain fittings, and they seem to be happy with them.

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=94

1/2" SS can be found reasonably priced on e-bay and with a little knowledge and skill can be bent to a desired shape. There are a few threads here showing some nice custom bent SS HERMS coils, return arms, and dip-tubes. There was one recently showing a nice looking SS whirlpool return arm, but I can't seem to find it. I plan on making my return arm with copper just like my current dip-tube.

+1 on the bargainfittings.com pickup tubes. i just got a couple stainless ones for my single tier build. I like that he give you the option of making it a permanant fitting or just using o-rings so you can change it around. what i mean by that is he sends you two o-rings that make a seal around the 1/2" pickup tube and he sends you a stainless compression ring that you can compress onto the tube.

I used a broken racking can that I had laying around. It fit perfectly into a plastic QD fitting (3/8 I think). Then the QD fitting screwed into the brass elbow coming off the keggle. I'll post a pic if anyone needs it but it's a pretty simple build.

Edit:
Oops, I was thinking site glass not dip tube. 1/2 in copper pipe with a sweated on elbow works fine just like in the picture. I extended mine all the way to the middle though.

Looking for where poeple have purchased their dip tubes or where they have bought the materials. At this point i would like to go Stainless. I'm assuming thats 1/4 tubing?? I will also entertain the idea of using copper.

I would think this would be the same tubing to put on the inside as a return tube.

let mw know what you guys have done.

If you are talking about a keggle, 1/2 inch is the most common size tubing. Some people use 3/8ths. The coupling on the inside of the keggle is usually a 1/2 inch NPT fitting. So you can use a brass 5/8" OD Compression fitting x 1/2" Mips to connect to a piece of hand bent tubing (what I use) or soldered copper pipe (two straight lengths and a 90 or 45 degree elbow. 1/2 inch ID copper tubing has a 5/8th inch OD.

Even with those bending spring sleeves, it's almost impossible to make a smooth bend in 1/2" stainless tubing. As much as I love stainless, the better DIY option would be soft copper.

you dont have these available do you bobby?

I also sent you a PM the other day regarding one of your videos on you tube.

Even with those bending spring sleeves, it's almost impossible to make a smooth bend in 1/2" stainless tubing. As much as I love stainless, the better DIY option would be soft copper.

I am still in need of a pickup tube... not sure what direction I want to go, probably soft copper and a 1/2" compression fitting , and 1/2" street 90.

-=Jason=-

yes thats exactly the pickup tube I am going for but on the bottom.

really I have a boil kettle and my first brew is going to be extract and I'll be using a hop bag so I doubt I'll need a screen or false bottom.

-=Jason=-

Latest posts

Back