Temp control post-primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickproenneke

Reaction score
Just wondering how important it is to maintain ideal and consistent temps AFTER the first 5-7 days of fermentation. I know it's probably not cool to let it freeze or boil, but what about an 6-8 degree temperature swing?

A fermentation could easily last 7-10 days. You should hold your beer at the fermentation temp for at least 10 days. If you let the temp fall 6-8 degrees when the yeast still has a bit more fermenting to do then the yeast will go dormant and your beer might finish a little high in gravity.

That said, after fermentation is done, I would try and error on the cold side if possible. I wouldn't want a beer stored at over 75 degrees. But anything in the range of 32-75 is fine.

I always try to keep my carboys/buckets at 65 degrees. When active fermentation takes place in the first few days I've seen the temp jump up to almost 75 degrees all on its own. Even in the winter. So it also depends on the yeast as well. After the initial temp spike and fermentation slows... 65 degrees for me. :)

Gary

Great advice. I try to pitch at 60F, knowing that during active fermentation the temp will rise 5-7 degrees. But once fermentation teeters off after a few days I have to use heating pads to maintain those temps. I usually try to maintain the temp for 14 days. Then I'll let it sit without temp control for another 2 weeks or so.

In all reality, once the beer is at confirmed FG there is really no need for temp control any longer IMO/IME Could be anywhere from 3-10 days depending on the beer, yeast and use of best practice fermentation.

duboman said:
In all reality, once the beer is at confirmed FG there is really no need for temp control any longer IMO/IME Could be anywhere from 3-10 days depending on the beer, yeast and use of best practice fermentation.

Thanks dubo - This is exactly what I wanted to know! So as long as gravity is stable then there's no need for precise temp control while the beer is conditioning in the primary.

Back