Physics or Chem knowledgable Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewit2it

Reaction score
I have a simple thermodynamics question but can't muster the energy to search the net to figure out how to solve it so hope someone who can do it off the top of their head can help out.

Assuming a closed system and all temps in F:

3 gallons wort (you can just assume H20 which will be close enough) at 205 degrees. Add 1 gallon Ice at 6 degree. What is the equilibrium temp.

Thanks for any help

Standard math says 155* but there's probably other factors in there that I am not considering.

I can get you started: find the specific heat for water and ice, and the energy of fusion for water, all in F. You also need to know the starting temp of the ice. There are three calcs to do: 1) energy transfer of ice going to melting point. 2) ice melting. 3) ice-cold water reaching equilibrium with hot water.

Why don't you just dump the ice in and take a temp reading?

Side not - I don't recommend adding ice to your wort.

Thanks for the replies. bendbrewer you didn't account for the change of state from Ice to water which is a big part of the energy absorption so the answer will be a lot cooler than 155.

Millswave, I did give the temp of the Ice. 6 degrees. I know I could figure it out if I pulled out my physics books and worked at it, hoping to find someone who can crunch it with much less effort:D

I can't muster the energy to find my books, but I know it's not as simple as doing a ratio of .75 to .25...it has to consider entropy and all that garbage of unused energy that I don't have the patience or brainpower to figure out. I'd much rather spend my Friday drinking a beer and keeping this stuff out of my head damn you!

I can't muster the energy to find my books, but I know it's not as simple as doing a ratio of .75 to .25...it has to consider entropy and all that garbage of unused energy that I don't have the patience or brainpower to figure out. I'd much rather spend my Friday drinking a beer and keeping this stuff out of my head damn you!

Good reply, but you are not the man I'm looking for. Still looking for Mr High School Chem or Physics instructor and weekend Brewer. I know he's out there:mug:

I have a simple thermodynamics question but can't muster the energy to search the net to figure out how to solve it so hope someone who can do it off the top of their head can help out.

Assuming a closed system and all temps in F:

3 gallons wort (you can just assume H20 which will be close enough) at 205 degrees. Add 1 gallon Ice at 6 degree. What is the equilibrium temp.

Thanks for any help

What is the gravity. Do mixing chambers. M1H1 + M2H2 = M3H3

Treat M1 and M3 as water, M2 as ice.

I hope this helps.

M1 = mass of your wort. I would say this is your volume * density * gravity. H1 is the enthalpy of water at that temp and pressure.

M2H2 = mass and enthalpy of your ice

M3H3 = Well conservation of mass means M3 = M1+M2. Then when you cross reference H, use liquid water.

I did an open system btw, only because there is a model for it in my book.

Why don't you just dump the ice in and take a temp reading?

Side not - I don't recommend adding ice to your wort.

My thoughts exactly.:rockin:

I know there is a time and place for calculating but sometimes good old fashioned sink or swim ideology works too!

In fact, but my drunken math, if you combine it with 3 gallons of ice you're at 114F.

This is why you do math before sink or swim sometimes.

M1 = mass of your wort. I would say this is your volume * density * gravity. H1 is the enthalpy of water at that temp and pressure.

M2H2 = mass and enthalpy of your ice

M3H3 = Well conservation of mass means M3 = M1+M2. Then when you cross reference H, use liquid water.

I did an open system btw, only because there is a model for it in my book.

Those are some nice formulas and all, but the question was asking for a numerical answer. I already gave you all the info you need by stating you can assume the wort is water. If you don't want to make that assumption assume it is whatever density you like, say a SG of 1.075. I'm not concerned with being exact, just in the ballpark. If you care to reply again with an actual answer in degrees F that would be great.

Only because I have a thermo exam on Monday I did the work.

You're looking at 162F.

You probably need to do a lot more studying and a lot less drinking before monday:cross:.

Even if you ignore the change of state from ice to water you would get a simple ratio of (205 x 3) + (6 x 1) /4 = 155 degrees which is already less than your answer of 162F, but we know it is something significantly less than 155 F due the the effect of latent heat during change from ice to water in a thermodynamic system.

Okay, looks like I'm going to have to take a crack at it myself. This may be close (or maybe not) but here's my simple solution. Again I'm making assumptions for simplicity which I know are inaccurate but close enough. For instance it isn't a closed system, and the wort isn't water. But hey, we aren't curing cancer here, we're making beer.

So we already calculated what the answer would be ignoring the effect of latent heat absorption from one gallon of water going from solid to liquid state and that was 155 F. So if we can calculate the amount of energy in joules absorbed during this change of state then calculate how much that amount of joules absorbed from the whole volume of 4 gallons will drop the temp we should get an approximate answer.

So as can be easily looked up, the latent heat for the fusion of water is 334 kj/kg:

1 gallon x 3.8 kg/gallon x 334kj/kg = 1269 kj absorbed energy from melting 1 gallon water.

So now that we have the amount of energy absorbed but need to calculate how much this will drop the temp of the entire closed system. To solve this we need to use the specific heat of water which happens to be 4.18 j per gram per degree C. 4 gallons of water weighs about 15 kg so:

Delta (X) degrees C = 1,269,000 J/(15,000g x 4.18 j/g/degree):

Solving for X we get a drop of 20 degrees C of the entire system from the change of ice to water.

155 F = 68 C
68-20= 48 C

Convert back to degrees F and you get about 118 F

So actually this looks like it could work pretty well since I have been doing a 90 minute 4 gallon boil and with my pot, and boiling outside I've been getting about a gallon boil off. By adding 1 gallon RO ice plus using a water bath I should easily be able to get down to pitching temps in 1/2 hour or less.

Not sure what the hangup on adding Ice to wort is but it's just water:confused:

The highschool answer is 122.9 F. This is assuming that you have 1 gallon of water that you froze, rather than one gallon of ice. I did it with units mass, since the ratio is what's important, not the specific volumes, neglecting changes in density. Basically, this is a gross approximation.

Also, I did this really quickly since my quantum mech homework is calling my name, so I was pretty cavalier with the formulas and units and such. No guarantee on accuracy, but it should be somewhere in the ballpark of 130 F.

3756-icewater.jpg

Okay, looks like I'm going to have to take a crack at it myself. This may be close (or maybe not) but here's my simple solution. Again I'm making assumptions for simplicity which I know are inaccurate but close enough. For instance it isn't a closed system, and the wort isn't water. But hey, we aren't curing cancer here, we're making beer.

So we already calculated what the answer would be ignoring the effect of latent heat absorption from one gallon of water going from solid to liquid state and that was 155 F. So if we can calculate the amount of energy in joules absorbed during this change of state then calculate how much that amount of joules absorbed from the whole volume of 4 gallons will drop the temp we should get an approximate answer.

So as can be easily looked up, the latent heat for the fusion of water is 334 kj/kg:

1 gallon x 3.8 kg/gallon x 334kj/kg = 1269 kj absorbed energy from melting 1 gallon water.

So now that we have the amount of energy absorbed but need to calculate how much this will drop the temp of the entire closed system. To solve this we need to use the specific heat of water which happens to be 4.18 j per gram per degree C. 4 gallons of water weighs about 15 kg so:

Delta (X) degrees C = 1,269,000 J/(15,000g x 4.18 j/g/degree):

Solving for X we get a drop of 20 degrees C of the entire system from the change of ice to water.

155 F = 68 C
68-20= 48 C

Convert back to degrees F and you get about 118 F

So actually this looks like it could work pretty well since I have been doing a 90 minute 4 gallon boil and with my pot, and boiling outside I've been getting about a gallon boil off. By adding 1 gallon RO ice plus using a water bath I should easily be able to get down to pitching temps in 1/2 hour or less.

Not sure what the hangup on adding Ice to wort is but it's just water:confused:

You're neglecting that the specific heat of ice is about half that of liquid water, so that move from 6 F to 32F of the ice has approximately half the dH that it would as water. Your starting temperature of 155 is off because of this.

The highschool answer is 122.9 F. This is assuming that you have 1 gallon of water that you froze, rather than one gallon of ice. I did it with units mass, since the ratio is what's important, not the specific volumes, neglecting changes in density. Basically, this is a gross approximation.

Also, I did this really quickly since my quantum mech homework is calling my name, so I was pretty cavalier with the formulas and units and such. No guarantee on accuracy, but it should be somewhere in the ballpark of 130 F.

3756-icewater.jpg

Thanks, thats pretty close to what I got actually and looks like it would work.

You're neglecting that the specific heat of ice is about half that of liquid water, so that move from 6 F to 32F of the ice has approximately half the dH that it would as water. Your starting temperature of 155 is off because of this.

Thanks, that makes sense. So my calculations of the delta was correct though. Thanks again. How much of a factor would the higher density of the wort have? Being denser means you would get a smaller drop obviously so maybe your estimate of 130 is pretty close.

Yea, that's actually a much more complex problem to solve. It's one of those things where taking the density into account gives you a guess, but without a lot more information it's just that, a guess. Another thing to take into a aacount is the loss of heat in the form of escaping steam. That will tend to drive the temperature down in an open system.

My guess of 130 was more for a closed system of boiling wort with a gallon of ice, since this is what I figured you were getting at. Either way, this is one of those cases where genchem thermodynamics is going to give you an estimate. For an accurate answer you'd need to know the masses of wort and ice used, the termal mass and thermal conductivity of the vessel, the ambient temperature and humidity, the [solutes] in both the wort and ice, and reactions occurring between the disparate solutions, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

In a case like this your best bet is to monitor the temperature next time you brew, noting the volume ice added, volume wort, temperatures of each and temperature when the ice melts completely. That'll give you an idea of what to expect in the future.

Yea, that's actually a much more complex problem to solve. It's one of those things where taking the density into account gives you a guess, but without a lot more information it's just that, a guess. Another thing to take into a aacount is the loss of heat in the form of escaping steam. That will tend to drive the temperature down in an open system.

My guess of 130 was more for a closed system of boiling wort with a gallon of ice, since this is what I figured you were getting at. Either way, this is one of those cases where genchem thermodynamics is going to give you an estimate. For an accurate answer you'd need to know the masses of wort and ice used, the termal mass and thermal conductivity of the vessel, the ambient temperature and humidity, the [solutes] in both the wort and ice, and reactions occurring between the disparate solutions, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

In a case like this your best bet is to monitor the temperature next time you brew, noting the volume ice added, volume wort, temperatures of each and temperature when the ice melts completely. That'll give you an idea of what to expect in the future.

Thanks again. Steam loss probably won't help much since I will have the lid on the whole time except when I open it to toss in the Ice. But this gives me a good enough approximation. with 3-3.5 gallons wort post boil it has been taking me around 45 minutes to cool using a 19 gallon tub with cool water and about 2 additional water exchanges (3 total). I am thinking this should cut the time approximately in half and probably only 1 additional water exchange. If it cools enough and the ice isn't fully melted I can just toss the residual chunk since I'm going to be topping off to 5.5 gallons anyway.

You probably need to do a lot more studying and a lot less drinking before monday:cross:.

Even if you ignore the change of state from ice to water you would get a simple ratio of (205 x 3) + (6 x 1) /4 = 155 degrees which is already less than your answer of 162F, but we know it is something significantly less than 155 F due the the effect of latent heat during change from ice to water in a thermodynamic system.

I didn't assumed the wort and the ice have the same density.

Anyways using melting I get 125F, assuming wort is 1.100.

Back