Hops for a Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing my first extract batch in a long time (I have an injury and can't do all-grain for a few more weeks.)

I'm going to do a Hefe. I'm only shooting for around 12-14 IBU's.

How much of a difference do the german hops make it such a low hopped beer??

I have some U.S. Golding on hand that are around the same AA% as Hallertau or Saaz and was wondering if I could use them?

Yay or nay? thanks.

Your choice of hops really depends on if you are brewing a German Hefe Weizen or an American Wheat.

The type of yeast is important also. Are you using a German HW yeast or an ale yeast?

German HW yeast + German hops = German-style Hefe Weizen.

Ale yeast + American hops = American Wheat. ;)

I was going to use the Briess Bavarian Wheat Extract, and the Fermentis WB-06.

Bad idea? I realize that it might be better with a liquid yeast and a starter but can I have that ready by tomorrow night??

I've read some good results with the WB-06 for a Hefe.

If you are doing bittering only, I would go for it. If you are using doing any flavor/aroma additions I might wait until I had some noble hops; then again, I might not.

Let me know what you think of the yeast, I have been wanting to try it.

As you can probably tell making a German-style HW is one of my pleasures.

My peeve comes out of its cage when someone wants (or expects) to brew a German-style HW and not use German ingredients (hops and HW yeast).

That's like deep frying celery and expecting them to taste EXACTLY like frenched fries...can't be done...DOH!!! :mad:

As far as wheat beers go it's as simple as they all based as a wheat beer.

When you use German hops and German (HW) yeast you get a German-style HW.

When you use orange peel and coriander as well as a Belgian Wit yeast you end up with a Belgian Wit.

Anything else is simply an American Wheat. ;)

I hope you can see the problem when somone says they brewed a German Hefe Weizen with a packet of dry Windsor and added orange peel to it...same goes for using all pale malt and calling it a stout...SAY WHAT??? ;)

"If you are doing bittering only, I would go for it. If you are using doing any flavor/aroma additions I might wait until I had some noble hops; then again, I might not."
+1
I've made a tasty Hefe with extract. I don't know about the yeast? If you're not going to exceed 1.048 OG you could just use a liquid culture without a starter and not compromise the yeast too much.

it may not be to style but I would suggest German magnum, you won't need much and it is a very clean bittering hop that will not shine through as you want your yeast to do that.

I think the hops are a minor factor in this beer. So I would go with the off hops for bittering only and not worry.

The yeast on the other hand is a big deal. I have never used the WB-06 but it sounds appropriate. I'd give it a try.

Back