satillite fermentors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushmanj

Reaction score
do you guys use a satillite fermentor on your batches? it seems like the best way to take hydrometer readings. ive heard of people using wine thieves but i am just curious what method everyone uses to take readings.

siphon a little bit into a tube while transferring it to my carboy. then of course drink the sample ... no sense in wasting it and you cant pour it back into the main batch without risking contamination.

Collectively on HBT it has been determined that satellites could ferment at a different rate than the fermenter resulting in errors of the actual gravity in the fermenter. Plan your batch slightly larger so the removal of hydro samples doesnt reduce the volume below that of the finished batch.

Collectively on HBT it has been determined that satellites could ferment at a different rate than the fermenter resulting in errors of the actual gravity in the fermenter. Plan your batch slightly larger so the removal of hydro samples doesnt reduce the volume below that of the finished batch.

What he said. I was using a satellite fermenter and after a few posts and some helpful posts on here I realized use a turkey baster or wine thief to get your sample from the bucket.

Actually that "satellite fermenter" idea will only tell you WHAT YOUR BEER WILL FINISH AT, NOT when your 5 gallon batch of beer will be done.

It's used to measure attenuation of the yeast, not rate of fermentation.

It will take yeast a lot less time to chew through 12 ounces of wort than it will 5 gallons.....so don't trust that silly thing that someone came up with because they are too afraid to take samples from their beer as being accurate.

If you do take that as "gospel" you more than likely are rushing your beer off the yeast way to soon. You know "bottle Bombs" or suddenly posting an "is my beer in secondary ruined?" thread because now that you moved it to secondary because the "satellite" said it was done, you now have this scary looking growth that you have never seen in your bucket (because the lid is one) that suddenly grew on top of your wort and is ugly as sin....which we of course will tell you to rdwhahb because that is just krausen and it formed because you racked too soon and the yeast is still trying to work to make beer for you.

The idea came from commercial breweries, but you have to realize when they are using in it a 3 or 7 or 10bbl fermentaion setup, that their sattelite looks like this.

P1010115.jpg

And they are drawing off hydro sample out of that bucket just like we do.

And they are STILL going to be taking readings and tasting the REAL beer in the ACTUAL FERMENTER, before making any determination.

It's been adopted by some home brewers, and unfortunately gets perpetuated by people (mostly noobs scared of taking real hydro readings) but it's about as accurate as airlock bubbling, (and you know where I count that in terms of fermentation gauges- slightly below the astrological calender :D)

Back