Old Pappy Wheat Wine Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rph33

Reaction score
Sacramento Brewing Companty's "Old Pappy Wheat Wine" is one of my favorite brews; such a unique flavor, smoothly alcoholic with a big hint of bourbon, long bits of coconut and vanilla on the tongue and a fairly sweet finish. It is aged for 7+ months in oak bourbon barrels. 12.2% ABV.

I'm going to try to do something similar, doing a partial mash using 50 / 50 amounts of wheat and barley (Malted Wheat, Domestic 2-Row) and a small amount of CaraVienne and CaraWheat. I'll probably use 8# grain and then use 4-8# of wheat and pale DME in the boil.

I'll hop with EKGs, with a stronger rate than most English ales but not as strong as an American.

I'll use an English Ale yeast, maybe WLP005, but is it strong enough to ferment something of this gravity? (I'll aim for ~1.100)

And finally, I'll oak this thing with some chips that have been soaked for a while in some bourbon. I don't want beer that tastes like it has bourbon added to it. I just want definite and noticeable bourbon and oak characteristics. Any idea of how many oz. oak to use, and how much bourbon, and how best to soak the chips in it? Will the bourbon sanitize the chips on it's own so I don't have to boil? How long should I soak the chips before I add to secondary (they will be in 2ndary for around 6 months).

Oh, final thing, will my yeast have any problems if I age for around 6 months in secondary?

I've been very interested in brewing a wheatwine lately. I can't really give you much direction as I've only tried one commercial example and still don't really have a complete grasp on the style. The one question that I can answer is, yes, soaking the oak chips in bourbon will sanitize them. As far as amounts go, I'm not sure at all about the bourbon, but I'm inclined to think that 1 oz. of oak chips should be plenty. Taste it every 2 weeks or so until the level of oak is where you want it and if need be you can always add more. Good Luck!

Back