Converting mini fridge to kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChristineM

Reaction score
Hi, I want to buy my husband a mini fridge and conversion kit for Christmas so he can make his own kegerator. It is just too expensive to buy a real one. I have been doing a little research and it seems that a 4.5 Cu. Ft. mini fridge should be big enough. Am I correct in this assumption? Or is it possible to get something smaller?

I found a mini fridge Haier - 4.5 Cu. Ft. Refrigerator Model: HNRQ05GAB for $133. Does anyone know if this would be a good fridge? Also, should I buy a tower mount conversion kit or the kind that goes through the door?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! I am trying to do this as inexpensively as possible.

Does your husband homebrew? If so I converted a Danby 4.4 cubic inch •Model# DAR440BL into a kegerator and it fits 2 corny kegs nice. I got it new at walmart for 170 bucks. Your best bet is to type in a search engine best refridgerators to conver to kegerator and it will give you better ideas witch one to get. They key is you have to get one without a freezer built in it. Also I would recoment you getting a tower for him its alot nicer.

Thanks for the advice! I ended up buying a mini fridge today - 4.5 cu. ft without a freezer. I'm hoping it will work nicely. It's a Haier fridge and I saw that this brand also makes regular kegerators, so I'm hoping it works. Thanks for letting me know about the tower, it definitely does look nice and more like a real keg. I'm shopping for keg conversion kits online and I found a complete tower kit for $120. Does this sound like a good deal to you?
Thanks again!
~ Christine

Back