Electric Keggle Parts Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradN

Reaction score
I'm going to convert my keggle to electric with a 240v water heater element. My question is, what PID & SSR do I need to just control the element (no thermometer connected)? I'm going to install a GFCI breaker. I'm only using this controller for the keggle.

Maybe someone can point me towards an earlier post. I've looked at Auberin's but do not know what the most simple parts to use are.

Any help?

Thanks,

Brad

Ebay is a good source to start since there are so many of them. If you are planning on using a SSR, make sure that your PID is made to control a SSR. From what I have seen, they either do relay or both relay and SSR. I bought the cheapest ones I could find and they seem to do the job, at least better than I could.

You will need a thermocouple or a resistive thermometer to hook up to the PID so it knows the temp. Usually the auctions on Ebay come with K type thermocouples. If you want more accuracy get a pt100 RTD instead of the thermocouple but either will work.

Depending on the wattage of your element, you can go with a 25a SSR or spend the extra $2 and get a 40a. The auction I won was $17 shipped for a 40a with a heat sink.

I just finished welding all of my fittings but I started with a weld less setup. I got everything from greatbargain.net or you can use mcmastercarr.com or fastenal.com for the parts.

Also, if you do a search on this site there are a lot of pages with this info already.

I just built an e-kettle and PID following this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/countertop-brutus-20-a-131411/

Fairly straight forward to build a PID and wire in an SSR plus a k-type thermocouple. Use some heavy gauge wire, the SSR and cords do get warm. This build should do what you are looking for. Definitely use a 40a SSR. I wired it into a GFCI combo switch in my control box to control the element, works great. And don't forget to ground your element!

Back