Cry Havoc WLP862

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paymygasbill77

Reaction score
I have a spare vial of Cry Havoc in the back of my fridge. I was planning on making a lager this past winter. Sadly I never got around to it.

What kind of ale will this yeast strain lend to?
Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks!

I used this yeast to craft a Classic American Pilsner this winter. It's actually quite the workhorse if you overpitch it. If you want good attenuation be sure to overpitch and aerate the heck out of your wort, otherwise you'll end up with 65% attenuation. I got 78% on my CAP..it's relatively clean at lager temps. I know you asked for ale experiences but I use it for lagering.

I used this yeast to craft a Classic American Pilsner this winter. It's actually quite the workhorse if you overpitch it. If you want good attenuation be sure to overpitch and aerate the heck out of your wort, otherwise you'll end up with 65% attenuation. I got 78% on my CAP..it's relatively clean at lager temps. I know you asked for ale experiences but I use it for lagering.

Sadly, Due to the current temperatures I cannot lager at the moment and I doubt the yeast will be viable in the fall when the weather cools off.

Maybe I will just slap a simple brown ale together and see how it works.

Paymygasbill77 said:
Sadly, Due to the current temperatures I cannot lager at the moment and I doubt the yeast will be viable in the fall when the weather cools off.

Maybe I will just slap a simple brown ale together and see how it works.

I was not a fan of that yeast for lagers, but it makes a decent ale. A brown would work well. Make a starter with it, and mash low to get it to finish low enough. Like the other poster said, it has a tendency to crap out early if it's not babied.

I was not a fan of that yeast for lagers, but it makes a decent ale. A brown would work well. Make a starter with it, and mash low to get it to finish low enough. Like the other poster said, it has a tendency to crap out early if it's not babied.

What ales did you make with it?

Paymygasbill77 said:
What ales did you make with it?

Pale ale, brown porter, and a oatmeal stout. I think it's best suited for the darker ales. Maybe you could do a brown porter?

Pale ale, brown porter, and a oatmeal stout. I think it's best suited for the darker ales. Maybe you could do a brown porter?

Maybe I will keep it in the fridge a few more months and see if It will still work. I'm more focused on lighter beers this month.

Paymygasbill77 said:
Maybe I will keep it in the fridge a few more months and see if It will still work. I'm more focused on lighter beers this month.

I'm sure it would make a decent blonde ale. Try something like this:
8lb pilsner
1lb wheat
1/2lb honey malt
25-30 IBUs of whatever hops you like

Back