Gravity readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKR

Reaction score
Anyone ever put a 2nd spigot midway up the primary bucket to take readings without having to open?

No,never saw the need. But it's an interesting idea. By the time it's ready for a 1st FG reading,the swirling action of fermentation would render it a moot point.

Don't put a second spigot on your fermenter. In fact, it shouldn't have a first spigot, but that's a subject for a different rant.

IMO, there's entirely too much reliance on the "a hydrometer reading is the only way to know" mantra. This is BS. It may be the only way to get a number, but there is rarely a need to take a reading at multiple points in the process. I take one at the beginning, and one at bottling. I have never suffered for not opening up the fermenter to draw a sample at some intermediate time. If I were trying to rush the batch into bottles at the earliest possible hour, I might take extra readings. But I don't brew that way.

It may be the only way to get a number

And isn't that the only way to truly know that fermentation is complete. I've yet to see someone who can look at a beer and say "yup, its done fermenting."

If you wait a long period of time (3+ weeks) its undoubtedly done. However, there are those of us who like to monitor progress to understand what is going on throughout the entire process. You can also turn around more beer this way. I brew over 150 gallons a year which requires me to be timely with my process. If you brew every now and then the wait til bottling method will work.

OK, those are good points and I don't really disagree. I guess my point is, don't take a reading unless there's a need, and it will tell you something you can't otherwise find out.

And yes, I can look at my beer and tell if it's done fermenting - because I've been waiting 3 to 4 weeks!

But I definitely stand by my "don't add a second spigot" advice.

Cheers!

A wine thief came with my morebeer kit and it is really easy to sterilize and sample.

:off: Does flocculence in your initial wort (I poured a little too much trub) screw up your OG reading?

Within reasonable limits, no - gravity readings pertain to what is in solution, not suspension.

Now, if the hydrometer comes to rest on sludge in the bottom of the test tube, then yes it will throw the readings off.

Within reasonable limits, no - gravity readings pertain to what is in solution, not suspension.

Now, if the hydrometer comes to rest on sludge in the bottom of the test tube, then yes it will throw the readings off.

Great, thank you for the prompt reply. This was actually harder to search for than it seems.

Back