Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this up for my third time yesterday. First was with 3711, second was with 3724. I ran into the much reported stall on that batch. Thank goodness two weeks of that wait was spent in Austria/Germany. Yesterday's batch was pitched with 3726. Looking forward to seeing how this strain turns out.

Thanks again for this recipe, this is my go to Saison, haven't even met a commercial version I like more.

Yesterday's batch was pitched with 3726. Looking forward to seeing how this strain turns out.

Would love to hear how you make out with 3726. I was all set to go with 3711 for my saisons this year and then stumbled on 3726 while doing some research. So, now I've been debating which strain to buy, or to go with both for one or two batches and see which I prefer. I'm thinking of starting my first Saison for the year in a few weeks so if you have any results by then that would be great, I know that's a little early but any feedback would be appreciated.

Do you do any temp control or pitch and let it free rise? In the past I have use WLP566, pitched in upper 60's and let it free rise. It usually gets up to mid to high 70 after the first couple days. One thing I seem to no be getting is the citrus character, I get the right amount of "spice," imo, but seem to not get the fruity/citrus aspects.

I have read that 3726 supposedly gives the mouthfeel and ease of fermentation of 3711 and the better ester production of 3724 without the higher temps.

I read every single post in this thread (yes really) before i brew this one, hit the numbers nicely and i've got to tell you, I have NEVER tasted a sample this good, i really hope some of that honey shines through in the finished beer (even though 3711 is a beast)

Stepmashed a bit differently than suggested, only change made.
I am really looking forward to this one!

Thank you azscoob.

I made 10 gallons about 10 months ago.

5 got drank right away. It was funky, full of flavor, a very strong and complex beer.

I just sampled the other 5 gallon keg that has been sitting in my basement all this time. It is a whole other beer. It mellowed out Significantly, but it's still very complex.

My fiancé wasnt a fan while it was young. She tried it with age and was very impressed.

I can't decide what version is better.

I made 10 gallons about 10 months ago.

5 got drank right away. It was funky, full of flavor, a very strong and complex beer.

I just sampled the other 5 gallon keg that has been sitting in my basement all this time. It is a whole other beer. It mellowed out Significantly, but it's still very complex.

My fiancé wasnt a fan while it was young. She tried it with age and was very impressed.

I can't decide what version is better.

Both versions! I might recommend 10 gallons of fresh and 10 to cellar for later consumption!!

Hey azscoob, congrats on a wonderful looking recipe. I've seen it before and been tempted. Been reading up on Belgian and French ales a lot lately (Farmhouse Ales, Brew like a Monk). I'm particularly drawn to the idea of going with 3711 in a saison.

I have one question, which I'm sure has been asked somewhere in the 100+ pages before me, lol, but I'll throw it out there if that's OK: can you foresee any potential issue with the 60 min boil vs 90 min given your base malt is Pilsner? Thanks and I'm sure this is going to get brewed, hopefully in the short term.

Ive brewed this when out of Pilsner malt and used basic 2-row, boiled for an hour, I couldn't honestly tell the difference between the 2-row and the pils. Later I brewed it with pils but spaced out I guess and boiled for an hour.... Again I t tasted the same to me!

Modern pils malt is well malted anyway so I wouldn't imagine there being a need for a long boil anymore.

Thanks man, it's going to be a good brew day. I'll do the Pilsner, and probably run off enough for a 90 minute boil just cause that's my thing. Clearly not necessary though given the great success of this recipe. :mug:

Thanks man, it's going to be a good brew day. I'll do the Pilsner, and probably run off enough for a 90 minute boil just cause that's my thing. Clearly not necessary though given the great success of this recipe. :mug:

I'd suspect a lot of folks would agree, you can drive off the DMS issue with pils grain bills with a 60 min boil so long as it's a vigorous boil and you used a good grain source

hey azscoob,
Greatings from the great wet north.
This is a delicious looking recipe.
I am brewing it today with a couple of subs:
1) regular 2 row pale malt instead of pilsner
2) I don't have any caramunich on hand but I do have crystal 10, 70 and 120 on hand.
I was thinking 70 might be a suitable substitute based on the colour.
Thoughts? Anyway congrats on such a popular and well received recipe. It's inspirational for us newer brewers.
Cheers

The two row should be a fine substitute, as for the colour of the c-70 it should be close, but would you be able to get hold of some regular Munich? Or dark Munich? I feel every beer deserves some Munich in it, it's magical stuff.

Looks like I am going to have to add some munich to my repertoire. What's one more bag of grain in the basement eh?

Agreed!!

I have enough Munich malts on hand to be able to brew eight 5 gallon Munich SMaSH batches with an OG of 1.050

Why stop at one sack? Get a sack of dark Munich, and a sack of run of the mill Munich, then snap up 10 lbs of caramunich just to be sure....

Just came here to offer my thanks for this amazing recipe. Had one of those perfect brew days hitting all of the numbers, and wow that 3711 was a monster! Started out at 1.060 and finished at 1.002, carbed to keg after 4 weeks. Solid peppery finish, likely due to the yeast and pepper additions. Didn't get much of the orange blossom flavor, but the honey did was it was supposed to do. It was, without a doubt, my best brew to date....had a party this weekend and our entire group consumed the entire keg of that 7.58% abv goodness.

Great recipe and already making another this weekend....may try 1 lb of table sugar instead of the honey.

Awesome brew!

How do you think Saaz will work in place of the Fuggles? I have 6oz of Saaz, 7oz of El Dorado, and 7oz of Calypso in the freezer. I'm also planning to rack at least half of the batch into a secondary with some cultured Goose Island Sofie dregs after a few days of inital fermentation. If I like how that's coming after a couple weeks I may decide to rack all of it into the secondary.

I know the Brett character may not show after a couple weeks but I'm hoping to get an initial idea to decide if I want to keep half without or not.

Just did this recipe as is, but whole leaf Sorachi Ace. Used a modified BIAB w/ sparge, nailed the OG (1.062), woo hoo! Looks amazing, came out super clear, can't wait for this to ferment out and taste.

- Jeff

Thinking about playing with the base of this recipe (again) and adding some pineapple flavor. Anyone have experience or handy tips? I'm thinking about adding pineapple juice after high krausen.

Well this beer is looking good. I undershot my OG by a point so it was 1.050. This is because I ended up with 6 Gallons rather than 5. That is A-Ok to me though. The good news is, I nailed the colour and the FG (1.002 exactly).
It has been 2 weeks in primary. I think I am going to transfer over to the keg in the next few days and let it carb up at around 14 psi. The sample tasted delicious - nice and dry and crisp. I used Belle Saison in this and I am very pleased.
Once again, thanks for such an awesome recipe.

I'm not sure it would make much of a difference one way or the other, but my thought was more pineapple flavor would make it into the final beer if it was added after most of the fermentation was complete. That could be totally off base though.

I'm no expert here, but here's my thought. Most of the flavor from pineapple is because of the sugar in it, so you'll likely lose most of that flavor unless you prime with it, which could be possible.
I had a talk with my lhbs owner about some off flavors in a wit I have and he mentioned throwing some Brett Trois in it.
I looked into Brett Trois, appears to possibly not truly be Brett but that's a different topic. It appears to give off pineapple and mango early on and gets more funky as it ages. So you could do a 3 or 4 months aging with Brett T and then keg or throw bottles in the fridge at that point. That would slow the Brett from changing the flavor.
I definitely haven't done this so it's all based on the interwebs, but pineapple and mango seem to be pretty consistent in the flavor descriptions.

I brewed the OP recipe today, only change was using Saaz instead of Fuggles. My crappy efficiency was worse than usual, I overestimated my water because I ended up with 6 gal instead of 5.5.
Ended up at 1.051 which if it gets down close to 1.000 which I expect it will it'll still be a 6% brew.
Still debating when/if to throw Sofie dregs in.

I clicked through several pages but couldn't find one... did anyone convert this to an extract/partial mash recipe? This recipe sounds amazing but I am not outfitted for AG yet.

Page 37 has a partial mash recipe, doing a quick search I didn't find a full extract version.

What about this extract conversion:

Original Recipe:

Grain/Sugars:

8.50 lbs. Pilsner Malt(2-row)
1.50 lbs. White Wheat
0.50 lbs. CaraMunich Malt
0.50 lbs. Flaked Oats
1.00 lbs. Orange Blossom Honey (added with 5 minutes left in the boil)

EXTRACT:

5.77 lbs. Pilsen LME
1.73 lbs. Wheat LME

Steeped grains:
0.50 lbs. CaraMunich Malt
0.50 lbs. Flaked Oats
1.00 lbs. Honey (added with 5 minutes left in the boil)

Comments?

How I came up with this:

Assuming 1lb grain = 0.75 lb LME

Target LME:

8.50*0.75 = 6.375 lb total Pilsen liquid
1.50*0.75 = 1.125 lb total Wheat liquid

Knowing that Wheat LME is (65/35 Wheat/Barley)* we need to adjust the target numbers so that we reach the target wheat amount (1.125 lb wheat liquid)

WHEAT: 0.65*(LME) = 1.125 LME = 1.125/0.65
LME = 1.73 lb

So if I use 1.73 of wheat LME, I will reach the target amount of 1.125 total wheat

Then adjusting the Pilsen:
0.35*1.73 = 0.6055 lb ---> this much in 1.73 lb of Wheat LME
6.375-0.6055 lb = 5.77 lb Pilsen LME

That results in:

5.77 lbs. Pilsen LME
1.73 lbs. Wheat LME

After the conversion from AG to extract.

I realize the color will be a bit off since Pilsen LME isn't 100% pilsen...

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/maillard-malts-pilsen-malt-extract-syrup.html

* used Wheat LME = 65%Wheat/35%Barley as per: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/maillard-malts-wheat-malt-extract-syrup.html

That will also make beer :mug:

It's just a pain to deal with measuring partial amounts of LME. Easier IMO to use full LME can amounts or use DME if fractions are required.

The more grain you're able to use (PM recipe), the better I think, especially for a saison which is typically a dry style.

That will also make beer :mug:

It's just a pain to deal with measuring partial amounts of LME. Easier IMO to use full LME can amounts or use DME if fractions are required.

The more grain you're able to use (PM recipe), the better I think, especially for a saison which is typically a dry style.

I can't easily get DME locally so I have to deal with measuring the LME. My brewpot isn't big enough for partial mash either.

it's all on my wish list :mug:

Make a keggle and cooler mash tun, then all you need is a chiller and you can brew most anything from full boil extract batches to 10 gallon all grain brews

Make a keggle and cooler mash tun, then all you need is a chiller and you can brew most anything from full boil extract batches to 10 gallon all grain brews

I'm stuck with what I have at the moment, but acquiring new equipment is on the list for Spring :mug:

I transferred 1 gal to a a 1 gal jug with Sofie drugs this weekend, not sure how long i'm going to let it sit yet. Will likely do smal tastes ever 2 -3 weeks until it gets to where I like it, will then bottle and set at least 2 or 3 bottles aside to age longer.

The Saison tasted great, nice citrus to it right now and just a little bit of spice, a lot different profile than what WLP 566 throws, that strain throws peppery spice like crazy. Never realized it until I started talking to a local brewery and sampled a couple he made with different strains. I didn't check the gravity yet, i know it still has some time before I bottle, at least a couple weeks, but I can't wait for this to be cold and carbonated!

Many say 3711 isn't that complex, I like to think of it as more "refined." It doesn't throw a ton of esters, it doesn't taste like you threw a bunch of black or white pepper in, and it doesn't have a lot of funkiness to it. All the normal characteristics are there just more subtle than other strains, which allows bringing out malt or hops more than what you can usually get from other strains. If I had to say one characteristics stands out more than others it's the citrus, mainly lemon to me.

Brewed a 5gal batch on February 8th. OG was 1.062. Took readings last week and I got stuck at 1.008. I don't have the greatest fermentation temp control, so maybe I couldn't raise the temp as much as it was necessary to get it down to 1.0. Not sure if there's something to kickstart fermentation again.

Hmmm. Mines been in the fermenter for 1.5 weeks and is at 1.003 or 1.004, too many bubbles to tell for sure. My OG was low too at 1.051, my water measurements were way off. I ordered yeast late so just pitched the smack pack a day after I received in the mail.

Any idea what temp your at? I pitched at 67 and just let it free rise, from what I saw it never got over 73, this is in a room with an ambient temp of 64.

Back