Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed yesterday. Hit OG and letting it ride at room temp! Very excited, go yeasties go!

Also brewed this yesterday. OG was a few points higher than target but that's okay. 12 hours after pitching yeast, it's already bubbling away at room temp.

Quick question - did anyone do a 90 min boil on this because of the pils malt/potential DMS? I did a normal 60 min boil but I've never used pils before so I'm slightly nervous

Also brewed this yesterday. OG was a few points higher than target but that's okay. 12 hours after pitching yeast, it's already bubbling away at room temp.

Quick question - did anyone do a 90 min boil on this because of the pils malt/potential DMS? I did a normal 60 min boil but I've never used pils before so I'm slightly nervous

I always forget to boil 90 minutes.. I do an extended boil without fail when brewing a wee heavy, everything else all bets are off :D

You will be fine!

I see a lot of lemon and orange zest additions...But has anyone tried tangerines? I happen to have a tangerine tree, and would find it to be in the farmhouse spirit to throw some zest in. How much would be appropriate?

Planning on brewing this as my first all grain next weekend.

Zest a tangerine or two and roll with that! Why not?

Just rolling with what I had on hand is how I came up with the recipe in the first place!

Keep everyone posted how it goes, I have $10 that says it hits 1.004 within a week.

Not sure if you were talking about me, but I will nonetheless keep everyone posted

Was 1.014 last friday, was 1.008 yesterday (Sunday)

I'll probably measure it again on Tuesday, this one should end at 1.000-1.004, I have little doubt :)

(I have a conical so taking samples is super easy)

I really like the taste of it and am really excited about this beer!

edit: Down to 1.002 on Tuesday

My basement, where i ferment, is consistently 64, so I figure it's fermenting around 68-72. 3711 chewed this down to 1.004 in 7 days. It's been almost 2 weeks since then and I haven't checked the gravity again yet, but I would put money on it that it dropped down to at least 1.002. I might not get many of the fruity esters, have to see this weekend when I pull a sample out, but as far as the yeast performing I don't think mid 60's will give you any problem. The initial sample I got after the first 7 days had good citrus notes to it, I'm hoping it held through the whole fermentation.

I know bad etiquette to quote myself, but seemed to make sense.

Just checked the gravity and it's at 1.000, don't think its going to go any further. A lot of the citrus has faded, it's there but not as noticeable. Dry but smooth, lime most descriptions of 3711.

I'm wondering if the citrus will come out when its carbed or if its is generally this subtle. Likely going to bottle this weekend so unless someone has more input in a couple weeks this one should be carbonated and at least a 6-pack will be cold. The rest I'll cycle into the fridge as I drink them.

I brewed 11 gallons of this yesterday and am very excited about it. This will be my 2nd attempt with this recipe; the first attempt turned out great. I ended up changing the hops to what i had on hand, cascade and centennial, and I used a couple different yeasts this time around as well. I went with theyeastbay's saison blend and the sour farmhouse ale. I also switched out the black peppercorn to sichuan peppercorn. I hit my OG right on the money yesterday, and within 5 hours I had a nice thick krausen and lots of airlock activity. I'll report back with results. Thanks again for the great recipe.

This look like an infection to anybody? No off smell or taste at this point anyway. There's still a lot that hasn't settled in the wort and right now in don't really have the means to cold crash it.

Yea. Looks like a pellicle of sorts. I'm thinking aceterobacteria. This would tie in with your very low gravity readings. Taking so many readings allowing O2 in and inadequate sanitizing of the lid may be at issue. Perhaps the lid is leaking allowing O2 in. Just some thoughts, not trying to be a d1ck

Does it taste OK?

I've only opened it 3 or 4 times. Once after a week to transfer a gallon onto Sofie dregs a week into fermentation, once this past Sunday to check gravity, and once today to verify the gravity hasn't dropped as I'm planning to bottle this weekend. I always sanitize my hands before opening the lid and only slide it off enough to get my thief in. The lid is looser than another lid I have but I still get airlock bubbles so it seemed to contain a tight enough fit.

At this point flavor is good, like my last post just the citrus seems to have faded pretty quickly, since its not even bottle yet. There's also not much saison funkiness but I think that's more of a 3711 thing.

One other thing I have noticed is I almost always get this similar look in my beers that contain wheat, which this dies. So I'm hoping/thinking its just the protein floating. Doesn't seem thick enough to be a pellicle, not at this point anyways.

Looking at it again. You're probably right. Also looking at the recipe FG 1.002 so your readings are looking within norms. If the taste is good I wouldn't worry.

Sorry to back pedal on my original post.

Bottle from under the ook, carb em up and refrigerate those bad chickens!

If it's infected, refrigeration will slow the issue, if it's yummy, knock em back!

I just wanted to say this is by far the most active fermentation I have ever had. This is day 5 and its still going CRAZY in there. So much fun!

Bottle from under the ook, carb em up and refrigerate those bad chickens!

If it's infected, refrigeration will slow the issue, if it's yummy, knock em back!

That's essentially my plan, might keep a couple bottles to age regardless just to see if it was infected or not, and if it does whether it was a "good" infection or not. Won't bottle till Sat likely and from what I've read if it's infected that process will take hold pretty quickly so I'll give a quick taste before bottling then.

Bottling now. Not much of a change in look or taste so hopefully its nothing to be concerned with.

Also, going to wash some of the yeast. If its not infected then I've got some good 3711 if it is then if it still tastes good then it might be worth using again.

View attachment 1428264986645.jpg

Gonna give this bad boy a try. My question is about the orange blossom honey and seeds of paradise pepper. If it makes the beer that much better then I will order the stuff. Or would regular honey and pepper be fine?

Gonna give this bad boy a try. My question is about the orange blossom honey and seeds of paradise pepper. If it makes the beer that much better then I will order the stuff. Or would regular honey and pepper be fine?

Regular honey and black pepper should be fine, I mix and match quite often myself, and living in Illinois now my access to orange blossom honey is scaled waaaay back over Arizona

Orange blossom honey and grains of parAdise can both be purchased on Amazon. My last bag of grains of paradise came from my local grocery store, they are a specialty shop with a few sales for each global areas unique foods.

Brewed this as my first all grain today. Got the mash temp and water volume exactly where I wanted with surprisingly little fuss, though I underanticipated the boil off volume of my new turkey fryer and got 5g in the fermenter exactly...would have liked a little extra to make up for the trub, but oh well.

1.058 OG. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Mine has been fermenting at room temp for 9 days. Went out of town Friday and got back late last night and the heater had switched off at some point and it was below 60 in the room where this beer is fermenting.
I'm sure the yeasties are having a nap now. I popped the lid for a second and everything looked OK but the smell was very powerful, and almost like old English or colt 45 or something.
I'm going to take a sample tonight for a gravity reading and I'll give it a taste. Hopefully its all good in there!

This has probably been already asked but what common hop
can I use instead of the sorchi ace? I have willammett, summit, Amarillo, cascade, nugget, northern brewer, belma, target, EKG, Columbus, tettnang, saaz, mittelfruh. Thanks!

There have been so many substitutions in the course of this thread, I've used EKG, but I do love the spice notes of saaz.... And the citrus notes in any of the c-hops could be nice...

I ordered my grains from my LHBS and they ended up putting 2 lbs of white wheat, 1 lb of flaked oats, and 1 lb of caramunich all into one sack (they normally separate each grain into separate bags, but not this time), would I totally screw this brew up using those amounts with 8 lbs of 2 row?

I ordered my grains from my LHBS and they ended up putting 2 lbs of white wheat, 1 lb of flaked oats, and 1 lb of caramunich all into one sack (they normally separate each grain into separate bags, but not this time), would I totally screw this brew up using those amounts with 8 lbs of 2 row?

You are only a half lb over on each item. My thought would be to bump up the two row a pound or pound and a half to try and balance it out, your og will go up a good bit, but hey it's not the end of the world!

Well you were right about this yeast. Took a sample last night and it chewed through this beer real good. This was 10 full days of fermentation at room temp.

The yeast were asleep for at least a day because I was out of town and the heater clicked off. Room temp went down to about 56. its back at around 70 or so and the airlock is bubbling at least once every 2 seconds or so. This may still be fermenting despite the low gravity reading i took last night.

I drank the sample and it tasted alright. I am not an expert at picking out flavours in flat warm fermenting beer. I will just say that I didn't notice any objectionable flavours and it tasted like beer. Nothing bad, nothing special.

Im thinking about leaving this for one more week or so and bottling on the 18th (21 days in primary)? Does that seem like enough time? Maybe too much time? I wouldn't mind bottling earlier like maybe the 14th (17 days in primary) if that seems like it would be enough time?

:rockin:

IMG_20150328_232526.jpg

IMG_20150407_195259.jpg

I personally don't bottle before 4 weeks. Let fermentation finish, let the yeast cleanup, and let flavors come together.

If life is in the way bottle sooner, if you can wait it tends to be better.

hmmm. Yeah I have a raspberry wheat fermenting alongside this and I was hoping to time it so that I could bottle both batches at the same time. Actually I think that the raspberry wheat will be done this weekend so I will probably bottle that and give this beer some more time :)

I brewed this last night with my extract conversion
I only added 1 tsp of ground pepper because I used organic Kampot pepper from Cambodia
My OG was a bit low, which I am happy with if the 3711 lives up to its reputation and ferments down to 1.00X

Excited to see how it goes. I put a blow off tube and it is bubbling great so far

After 10 days my gravity is at 1.006. I'm going to shake it and let it sit and see how close I can get to 1.000

I can't for the life of me remember what my OG was and I forgot to write it down. But it's not the end of the world!

Back