Help! Fermentation problem!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtisj

Reaction score
I just made a batch of IPA
I cleaned and followed all instructions.
I put it in the bucket overnight to find it overflowing with foam in the morning.
I replaced the airlock with a blow-off valve.
After 12 hours when it stopped bubbling I replaced the valve with the airlock.
Since that time, NO bubbling has happened what so ever.
I checked the gravity its only at 1.10
Its only been a day and all bubbling has stopped?
What Happened?

thanks

Nothing wrong. An aggressive fermentation can be done in 1-2 days as far as your sight can tell. Just because there is no airlock activity doesn't mean it's not fermenting.

Let it run it's course. BTW, what was the starting gravity? Is the gravity 1.10 or did you mean 1.010? If the latter, sounds like the yeast did it's thing if it was an average gravity to start with.

I think you're missing a digit in your SG reading. Do you mean 1.010?

The beer is finished. That's why it's not bubbling. I've had beers ferment that quickly before, but usually it takes a bit longer.

My bet is that you added the yeast when the wort was still pretty warm, so it went hard and fast (that's why it overflowed the bucket). Once the fermentable sugars are gone, the yeast will go back and digest some of its own waste products, so it's still good to leave it in the fermenter for at least another week. It will also start to clear and condition.

Next time, make sure you add the yeast to the wort when it's 70 degrees or under, and keep it under 70 degrees for the whole time. I like having a "stick on" thermometer on my fermenters so I can monitor the temperature that way.

A quick fermentation is fine, but sometimes it produces way more heat than you'd think! A "hot" fermentation (over 70 degrees or so) can have some funny flavors to it so that's why I said to not add the yeast until the wort is under 70 degrees.

On the flip side of that, my Irish ale has been slowly bubbling for more than 4 days at an ambient temperature of about 62 degrees. Yeast works faster when it is warmer but it also tends to throw of more undesirable side compounds. Next time you should try to cool the wort a little more and ferment in a cooler location if possible.

That sounds good!
So it isn't something I should worry about.
When I took the sample today to get the OG of 1.010 it was very cloudy and had floating things in it?

Thats a quicky did you pitch at 90 degrees or something? I would let it sit another 3 weeks to clean up potental fusel alcohols and to condition better. i would do 4 really.

Back