So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Making a 9.5G batch of a low oxygen Maris Otter and Willamette lager. Also throwing in an oz of Cluster I've had since 2015 to get a few more IBUs.

I don 't expect the beer to be great due to the simplistic grain bill, but for years and years i've wanted to make an all MO beer, and this will be it.

Marris Otter is a great malt for single malt brewing. I hope you find you have a new favorite beer once you're finally drinking it

Marris Otter is a great malt for single malt brewing. I hope you find you have a new favorite beer once you're finally drinking it

Hope so. The initial wort sample was super bland, sorta as i expected given that its 100% base malt. This is meant to be lawn mower beer though, so right on target.

Beginning the boil on my "east coast" steam beer! I call it my Cackalacky Common. Made it before and it came out quite nicely. My wlp810 starter is chugging along nicely.

Only minimal changes this time around (version 2.0) with the last one oz hop additions at 15/5 min rather than 10/0, and a half oz dry hop.

I do a single malt brew with M/O and Nugget hopps. Otter's Nuggets... Very good, and yes i keep it as a lawnmower beer, little higher than norm carbonation.

Making a 9.5G batch of a low oxygen Maris Otter and Willamette lager. Also throwing in an oz of Cluster I've had since 2015 to get a few more IBUs.

I don 't expect the beer to be great due to the simplistic grain bill, but for years and years i've wanted to make an all MO beer, and this will be it.

I try to keep all my grain bills simple. Usually just 2 malts, not counting a little acid malt for pH adjustment, and one or two hops. Porters and stouts get a little more complicated, but not much.

Maris Otter as a lager with Cluster and Willamette ought be be awesome. I think it will be kinda like a Vienna lager with the wrong hops -- and I really like both Cluster and Willamette.

I try to keep all my grain bills simple. Usually just 2 malts, not counting a little acid malt for pH adjustment, and one or two hops. Porters and stouts get a little more complicated, but not much.

Maris Otter as a lager with Cluster and Willamette ought be be awesome. I think it will be kinda like a Vienna lager with the wrong hops -- and I really like both Cluster and Willamette.

Simplicity is best. It is also more cost effective. I try to keep my bills to 2 to 4 malts and use only my homegrown hops.

Maris Otter is a great malt for smash brews. If yours doesn't live up to your expectations, send it to me for proper disposal. :-D

I have a couple saisons on deck coming up. Trying some new yeasts.

Brewing a porter tomorrow with a small amount of smoked malt in the grist to see if i can replicate the flavour of when malt was kilned over open fires. Only 1% in 25L but its a starting point, nothing to over powering. Going to mature this a long time

Toying with brewing a scotch ale again or trying my hand at an ESB. ESB is a request from a friend, but I'm not feeling it. I got thoroughly sick of Red Hook when it was the "in" thing and haven't really been into the ESB style since. The other option is one I've done twice and failed both times miserably...mainly because I brewed them back before I knew what I was doing. We love Bear Republic's Racer 5 and that's my bogey. Hmmm. Gonna brew regardless but figuring out what I want is the hardest part.

We did a pale ale last year, Ding Dong the Goat is Dead! After the Cubbies did the WS thing. It was a 10 gal batch, had to improvise the hops a bit. It was yummy. So we'll do that tomorrow. Supposed to be a SNPA with Cascade, but we substituted Brewer's Gold and Centennial for the 10 minute addition, Cascade for the flameout.

Brewing up a Vienna Lager with Marshall's Vienna Lager recipe that he mentioned on the Brulosophy 'brewing with kiwis' episode. 97% Vienna, 3% chocolate malt. Reusing a German Lager Yeast from my previous German Pilsner

Out of boredom brewed a cream ale and a mexican/vienna lager! house to myself and all I did was brew and drink....Great weekend

Well! Started at 10:30
10 gal- Wheat
10 gal - Farmhouse (to top off barrel)
60 gal- Lambic ( to put in a whiskey barrel)

20170513_154347.jpg

Did a Racer 5 clone yesterday that I just now realized I forgot to add Whirlfloc to...so will be a bit hazy. This VERY early Mom's Day morning I'm doing a Centennial Blonde for the kids' wedding, test #2. Then later I apparently am going to go make an absolute fool of myself on the golf course.

Would have brewed today, but the LHBS was closed without warning. Probably Mother's Day. Wish I had known that before I walked over there.

Brewed yesterday. Made a new Ipa recipe. Fermentation has Already kicked in hard today and is just rolling. It smells fantastic in my basement this morning.

Brewed an English pale ale on Friday and a Vienna ale yesterday. Making some mango apple cider today

Brewed a rye session ipa last night. 35 minute mash and 20 minute boil.
This morning I pitched Terje's kveik strain at 29c.
The 2.5 day fermentation had started within a half hour.

Last night brewed a batch of what I named the 4:20 smash apa.

In case you're wondering, no it doesn't have any pot in it :D

4kg pale ale
20g amarillo @60 min
20g amarillo @15 min
20g amarillo @ 5 min
20g amarillo dry hop 5 days

Seems pretty hoppy but the bag was only 8.2AA so not too hoppy. Only 34.5 IBU. Wort had a nice sting though, hoping it will be good.

Last night brewed a batch of what I named the 4:20 smash apa.

In case you're wondering, no it doesn't have any pot in it :D

4kg pale ale
20g amarillo @60 min
20g amarillo @15 min
20g amarillo @ 5 min
20g amarillo dry hop 5 days

Seems pretty hoppy but the bag was only 8.2AA so not too hoppy. Only 34.5 IBU. Wort had a nice sting though, hoping it will be good.

Bet if you go 30min, 10min, whirlpool, and dryhop tone down a bit and add juciness. Love simple recipes!

Setting up everything tonight for an English Chocolate Stout.

SWMBO is traveling up north to her neice's graduation. So I'll be brewing my latest NEIPA. Will be adjusting water this time. Using 1318 instead of Vermont, and following some tips I got from a local brewery. Excited to see the difference.

The last one came out great, tasted like Crusher

My youngest son and his wife are coming in town this weekend. Going to brew a Blonde Ale with him on Saturday, to go with our July 4th line up of beers that will be on tap. Really looking forward to a great day with him!

John

Last couple times I used the food processor it kept clogging up because the ginger is too stringy. I decided to use the meat grinder. Diced up the ginger first and the grinder did an awesome job.

I'll be doing 11 gallons tomorrow morning, wheat pale ale and a wheat cucumber beer.

Brewed a variation of the Shipwrecked Saison last night with Moteuka as a late addition. Bubbling away like crazy this morning. :)

Sanitizing water on at 5AM - always boil water and send it through all my lines and CFC before starting to brew (even though I PBW and hot water through all after each brew) anal!

An American Hefeweizen in the Kettle/Tun....50 minutes into a 90 min eBIAB mash - with a 15 minute starch rest @ 120 to begin with -

The last one went into the keg on April 13th... keg is now nearly ready to float! Good thing there is an IPA and an APA still serving!

Cheers!

Making a Smoked Maple Scotch Ale today, should be good. Brewing is one of the more enjoyable facets of the long weekend.

Hopwork Orange tomorrow am. Then off with wifey to buy garden stuff. Hmm. Maybe i could hide some hop rhizomes in there for planting.. lol

Back