First Wine - Moscato

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidsmakeyoucrazy

Reaction score
I've decided to try making wine (don't like the stuff myself). It's for my wife and her friends. They love Moscato so I decided I'll give it a shot. My question is about degassing. They like the "fizzy" style of Moscato. Not fully carbed but still has slight carbonation. Can I achieve something similar by NOT degassing the wine, or is skipping that step going to cause issues?

I guess my answer is a very helpful "it depends"!

It would depend on just how gassy the wine is, and if you plan on bottling it with wine bottles and corks. If it's gassy, it needs to be bottled in champagne bottled or beer bottles because wine bottles can either blow up or pop off their corks, especially if there is a temperature change.

Makes sense. I've actually had a bottle of Two Hands Brilliant Disguise (Moscoto style, but different grapes) blow it's cork in the summer. Thing scared the crap out of me. It was about 3am and it shot out of the wine rack halfway across the room!

Back