Leaving co2 line and disconnect on keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rack04

Reaction score
I'm between batches and I'm wondering if there is any problem with leaving the co2 line and disconnect on the keg without cleaning like the liquid components. My thought is that the co2 in the line will keep any nastys out. I plan to sanitize the disconnect prior to connecting to the filled ball lock post. Should I just clean it or leave it be?

rack04 said:
I'm between batches and I'm wondering if there is any problem with leaving the co2 line and disconnect on the keg without cleaning like the liquid components. My thought is that the co2 in the line will keep any nastys out. I plan to sanitize the disconnect prior to connecting to the filled ball lock post. Should I just clean it or leave it be?

I don't think I've ever cleaned the gas disconnects, just the liquid side. I'm of the mindset that too much disassembling might facilitate a leak. IMO, you'll be fine. Like you said, there is positive pressure.

I always sanitize both posts and both disconnects, just because its easy and I figure why not. My disconnects have the threaded flares so its easy to take them off, dissemble, and sanitize.

No need to take apart anything on the gas side. A little spray of Star-San solution in the gas in QD couldn't hurt before you hook it to a new keg though.

I decided to leave them connected. We will see if I notice any changes. Thanks for the information.

Back