Transferring from primary to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thearcher

Reaction score
I have a quick question on transferring my brew from the primary fermentor to my carboy (secondary).

Should I siphon gently to not disturb the brew or more violently to stir things up a bit?

Thanks

Curtis

I have a quick question on transferring my brew from the primary fermentor to my carboy (secondary).

Should I siphon gently to not disturb the brew or more violently to stir things up a bit?

Thanks

Curtis

Allwas transfer gently, You don't want the Trub moved. but why to a secondary? Secondary fermentation is OUT for most beers as I've been told.

OK now I am confused I thought primary for a couple weeks then to a secondary for like two weeks then to bottling bucket for bottling was the best way to go. I may be wrong I am a newbie.

Curtis

Secondary is fine. Just be sure to sanitize and siphon gently so the trub isn't disturbed and O2 isn't added into the brew.

Many directions that come with kits and books say to rack to a secondary, but any more its been found that a secondary generally isn't needed unless you are dry hopping. A month in the primary will produce a clear beer.

If you do transfer, you don't want to agitate it.

I typically only transfer to secondary to dry hop, otherwise primary to bottle is easier. 1 less thing to clean. If you're going to skip transferring to secondary though you might want to leave the beer for an extra week or 2 in primary just to help it clear.

Threacher, place a wedge or telephone book under your primairy (this will elevate the bottle to a 25 to 30 degree angle)..then place your siphon at the part of the bottle that is not angled up (wait a few minutes in case you disturbed the trub, then place the hose in you secondary at the very bottom and make sure the whole is close to the wall so if prevents spraying....after you rack this beer to your secondary, brew another beer and dont transfer it, you will notice no difference and would have not taken the chance to expose your beer to oxygen and foreign contaminates like bacteria and weird strains of yeast!

...... but why to a secondary? Secondary fermentation is OUT for most beers as I've been told.

Many say a secondary in NOT NEEDED. This is different from saying OUT. Done with care, transferring to a secondary will not harm your beer. Some might even say there are some benefits to be had

Many say a secondary in NOT NEEDED. This is different from saying OUT. Done with care, transferring to a secondary will not harm your beer. Some might even say there are some benefits to be had

I thought saying "for morst beers" would indicate that it is OK when needed. Most of what I read here say "no need to use secondary". Of course it will not harm your beer unless you introduce something bad during the transfer.

I would say it is fine to secondary ANY beer if a person wants to. One doesn't have to, but they can if they want. As with any hobby there are people who enjoy them at all kinds of levels. Some folks are more hands off, others just can't resist playing with their beer. If someone has good sanitation and can transfer the beer with minimal splashing (ideally into a purged vessel) then I see no problem with using a secondary vessel for aging and clearing, again for ANY beer style.

It might not be worth it for a Hefe or a Wit, but if that's what someone wants to do, I say, go for it. Or one could skip it for most beers. That's fine too

Well after reading these responses I think I will just leave it in my primary for 4 weeks then bottle.

Thanks

Curtis

So if most guys are not using a secondary then would you suggest Using glass or plastic for your primary? I understand that the plastic buckets give you more head space but is glass more sanitary?

So if most guys are not using a secondary then would you suggest Using glass or plastic for your primary? I understand that the plastic buckets give you more head space but is glass more sanitary?

For the relatively short time it's in primary, plastic is fine. The headspace isn't a problem in primary, because the fermentation produces co2 which provides a level of protection from oxidation to the beer.

I usually leave a beer in the fermenter for two to three weeks, depending on what it is. I've never done one of the super-long month primaries others talk about.

I like to move the beer to the secondary; I find it cleans the beer up a little bit more than leaving it in the primary.... Not scientific at all, just what I like to do.

Back