Chili beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMatt

Reaction score
Its that time of year here in New Mexico and the smell of roasting chili is everywhere. I have been threatening to incorporate this wonderful time into a brew. Here is my plan, Anyone familiar with roasting and peeling chili knows you are left with some juice in the bottom of the bag after a session. These drippings are slightly viscous very aromatic and flavorful. I have collected about a quart from the two bushels we peeled and was wondering if anyone know what size of batch to make... I was going to go small maybe 2.5 gallons adding the juices to the secondary (sterilizing with a quick boil to avoid contamination and try to avoid boiling off the oils). Does that sound like an adequate batch size for a quart of juice?

i would think that a quart of chili juice would be too much for that size of a batch, hell i think a 10 gal batch may be too small. I guess it depends on how strong that juice is, give it a taste and see how strong it is. I have put a couple of smoked chilies in a 5 gal batch and that's enough.

Back