estimating OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewr4fun

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian ale almost 2 weeks ago. I know from posting in other forums that I took a hydrometer reading that was inaccurate. I read 1.150. But bases on others opinions including my own I have decided that reading is false.

So based on this recipe I am trying to estimate my OG and ABV

7 lbs pale malt LME
1 lb pale DME
1 lb belgian candi sugar
.5lb Belgian caramunich
.5lb Belgian special B
.5lb Belgian CAV?? Can't recall this one exactly but those are the first three letters.

2 oz Northern Brewers at 60
2 oz Northern Brewers NZ at 5
Wyeast smack pack

By the way my gravity reading yesterday was 1.018. I am taking another one tomorrow and hopefully transferring to secondary. It has been fermenting now for 12 days.

I had the trial version of Beersmith but it has expired a long time ago. I am going to buy the full version but am waiting a little bit to make sure I have the extra funds. money is a little tight with all of the grain brewing equipment and kegging stuff I am trying to fund. So if anyone can give me a rough guess please. Thanks.

I ran it into beersmith and came up with 1.064 for an og. Was the malt you couldn't remember Caravienne Malt?

I agree that 1.150 is an inaccurate reading. your wort probably wasn't mixed completely with the top off water.

Back