Clearing beer with Kieselsol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Option

Reaction score
I have tried to find as much information as I could but I cant find much on the topic because most all information is related to wine.

I have a pumpkin ale going that I planned on putting in a short secondary just to hit it with gelatin because it is the cloudiest thing I have ever seen. Went to the LHBS today and all he had was Kieselsol which said would work.

Also I have a IPA that is on day 5 of dry hopping in secondary now that was super clear but after dry hopping with 1oz of pellets it looks wrecked now. Should I throw some of this Kieselsol in for the last 2 days before I keg? It seems like this stuff is made to make yeast particles bind together, not hops. And since its made for wine(without hops) I dont know if it will clear the hop particles?

Sorry, I have never used any fining agent before and this one seems questionable...

While I can't speak directly to Kieselsol, I can speak to your question on the IPA and dry hopping:
1) Cloudiness due to dry hopping is to be expected, and is an acceptable characteristic of the style. It's actually a very normal thing among dry hopped beers.
2) A couple days in the fridge and you'll find that the vast majority of that cloudiness will drop right out of solution, whether your bottle or you keg.

So, at least for the IPA, I wouldn't add any fining agents to it in your position with regards to the dry-hop induced cloudiness.

Thanks stratslinger, I have decided I am just gonna crash the IPA for 2 days then keg and see what happens...

For the pumpkin, I am not sure yet. I think I am gonna blast the bottle of Kieselsol in the secondary for 3 days and hope for the best since I already have it. Also thought about putting a hop sock around the end of my siphon into the keg and try and catch any big junk that tries to pass through.

Back