Wine Cooler Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVilleggiante

Reaction score
I'm currently looking at a couple of different fermentation temperature control options, and the one I like best so far is using a wine cooler with an internal digital temperature controller. It seems very straight forward and accurate. I am however wondering what happens when the C02 builds up? Will it pop the door open? Do you have to drill into the side of it and run a tube with a blowoff on the outside? Please explain.

While the seal on the door is tight it is far form air tight. Use your regular airlock/blowoff tube setup and the CO2 will dissipate. Some people refrain from using wine coolers as they are not that powerful and it could take a while to reach fermentation temp. Also it does not give you a wide range of temps and it could be difficult to lager in one.

Jewbrew,

Thanks for the info. I'm not interested in brewing lagers so I'll be staying in the 60 degree range. Do you think a wine cooler's power is sufficient for that?

With that post of the fridge and temp controller, I think you sold me. That's the best little fridge I've seen so far. Thanks Jewbrew. Really appreciate the links.

as long as there is insulation left on the door its fine. ON my fridge I added a piece of sheet metal for aesthetics.

Back