Ó Flannagáin Standard help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Challenger440

Reaction score
Due to my SWMBO being awesome and getting me another carboy as one of my gifts for Christmas, I wanna try to brew Ó Flannagáin Standard stout before we head out of town for the weekend. I am wanting to do a partial mash of this and was hoping to find a consensus on the recipe before I go buy my supplies.

I have looked in the recipe thread and there are a couple of options, and I also found a recipe given in another thread. I looks like the best version might be found in jcole's linked .pdf at the bottom of page 9 of the recipe thread (go to bottom). For those who have tried a PM version of this, what would you guys recommend? Or even the seasoned vets, what would your advice be?

i cant' remember the exact recipe when i did my PM of this, but i used a trick that i read about in BYO. It called for splitting the grains up, mashing the base malt and steeping the specialty grains. This allowed you to control the acidic nature of the roasted malts by adding a bit of baking soda. The only problem i ran into, though, was that i was still doing partial boils and quickly had more liquid than i could handle in my small pot. I'll see if i can find my recipe for you.

Back