gallena as a cluster substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutcase

Reaction score
I was planning on brewing a mendocino red tail clone I got from BYO. it calls for cluster hops (8% AA) but my home brew store didnt have any and advised me to use galena (11% AA) as a sub. this would be the bittering hop in the recipe. If i can figure out the right amount to result in the same bitterness, is it going to make a substantial difference in the taste?

the reason i ask is that this is my second ever brew and i really wanted to see how close a match i could get, but if it's going to be enough of a difference i think i might just play around with the recipe a little more. thanks!

That will work fine. The bittering addition is just that, bittering. No real flavor or aroma survives the 60 min. boil. Just adjust for the different AA% and you'll be fine.

Thanks alot!!!

Hooter - Spokane? I'm in Tacoma area. By chance do you know what hops Northern Lights uses in their regular IPA? It's noticable different than any other IPA's I'm used to.

And if you could get their choc. dunkel recipe I would probably send you my first born ;)

Thanks alot!!!

Hooter - Spokane? I'm in Tacoma area. By chance do you know what hops Northern Lights uses in their regular IPA? It's noticable different than any other IPA's I'm used to.

And if you could get their choc. dunkel recipe I would probably send you my first born ;)

I don't have a recipe for either unfortunately, but if I ever figure it out I'll let you know.

Speaking of recipes, Harmon brewing in Tacoma has a Killer IPA, Point Defiance I believe. I'd love to clone that one someday.

Latest posts

Back