Primary in Bottling Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prpromin

Reaction score
So I read the forums and the first several chapters of "How to Brew" before beginning my first beer. I carefully sanitized and set up everything. Followed the instructions and timed the process, and, with only a minor issue cooling the pot, everything went well. I'm even mostly patient - although I'm dying to see what's going on inside the bucket.

However, somewhere along the way, I made up this idea that I would do a primary fermentation only and not rack to a secondary (no problem there) and to save time later on, I'd do my primary in my bottling bucket (there's the learning experience part).

So now I'm torn - rack to a secondary for a few weeks since I need to move the beer anyway, or just transfer the briefly while I clean and sanitize the bottling bucket? I guess either way I need to siphon twice.

BTW - equipment for either of these issues is not an issue - I have a 5 gal glass carboy and a 6 gal bucket sitting empty right now.

No matter what happens, I'm hooked - before even tasting my first homebrew.
Thanks.

So I read the forums and the first several chapters of "How to Brew" before beginning my first beer. I carefully sanitized and set up everything. Followed the instructions and timed the process, and, with only a minor issue cooling the pot, everything went well. I'm even mostly patient - although I'm dying to see what's going on inside the bucket.

However, somewhere along the way, I made up this idea that I would do a primary fermentation only and not rack to a secondary (no problem there) and to save time later on, I'd do my primary in my bottling bucket (there's the learning experience part).

So now I'm torn - rack to a secondary for a few weeks since I need to move the beer anyway, or just transfer the briefly while I clean and sanitize the bottling bucket? I guess either way I need to siphon twice.

BTW - equipment for either of these issues is not an issue - I have a 5 gal glass carboy and a 6 gal bucket sitting empty right now.

No matter what happens, I'm hooked - before even tasting my first homebrew.
Thanks.

I would transfer it to secondary. let it set to clear more ( after being moved)then rack back into the bottling bucket. If you can cold crash do that to if you want to.

I did this exact same thing over the weekend with my first brew. I am trying to figure out how I am going to handle it. I'm thinking of going with the secondary for a week before bottling.

Thanks, OHIOSTEVE - That's what I was thinking. I just needed someone with more experience to tell me that.

sburggsx - glad I'm not the only one. Good luck with your beer.

Back