Don't drink it all at once!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidaddytn

Reaction score
I've read many times that the flavor improves over time in the bottle... I believe it now! I saved a bottle of the first extract batch I brewed in Nov 2009... I drank most of it after 3 weeks in the primary and 2-3 weeks in the bottle... I never really thought it was that good (actually I almost even didn't like it at all)... I gave a four pack of different beers that I have made to a friend and he chose this first batch as his favorite... I was like WTF! so... I popped open the last bottle :-( and am drinking it now and it is really great! I wish I had some more... this particular batch was a true brew nut brown...

I have the same problem. I have been trying to brew about 1 aging beer to every 3 quick turn around beers, while saving at least a 6 pack of every batch. I've only been brewing for a few months, but it was a long time coming, so I have quite a stock from brewing 2 batches every week or so. My second extract batch was Northern Brewer's Bourbon Barrel Porter, so that should age well. I built up a cooler mash tun for batch 4. I brewed Dude's Lake walk Pale Ale all grain, and it is my best yet. I'm now looking for recipes for batch 7, but I might just do Lake walk again. That's one beer I can't save!

So there is a method behind the madness... Glad your brew turned out well. I like to let mine sit in bottles for at least a month. Its been rally hard since I got the keg set-up but now I just try to bottle at least a sixxer from every batch. When when I have family in from out of town I have a few different styles for them to try and they're pretty well aged too.

You lucky kegging bastard! I'm very jealous. That's kind of what I'm going for, too, except I have to bottle all of mine. Kegging is on my list of priorities, but my wife says we need to pay bills instead. :( I just try to keep ahead of my consumption and save 6... :)

you know the saying -- "the last one is the best one"!

I used to set aside a 12 pack of every batch to age a bit. Of course I was brewing so much I didn't really have much problem letting the bottled stuff age as I had plenty of choices.
I've mostly quit doing that now as I've learned over time that some beer (Pale Ale's/IPA's etc) are best 'young' before the hop flavors/aroma's break down.

Back