Can you sanitize 1ltr swing top bottles by dunking them in a bucket of sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
I can't find my vinator and I have to bottle tonight. I have a bucket full of Star San solution. Can I just dunk bottles in there and make sure they fill up, then dump solution back in the bucket and repeat for each bottle?

Yep. You don't even have to let them fill up - I just hold them under for a second and then up end them. The Starsan will come into contact with the whole bottle as you pour it out. As long as you have cleaned before you sanitize that is all it takes.

That is how I usually sanitize, or I fill them by pouring the sanitizer into the bottles with a funnel, shake, and dump.

Yep. You don't even have to let them fill up - I just hold them under for a second and then up end them. The Starsan will come into contact with the whole bottle as you pour it out. As long as you have cleaned before you sanitize that is all it takes.

If I'm using new bottles is cleaning necessary? I was thinking just putting water in them, swishing them around, then sanitizing.

I have one piece of advice if you plan on continuing to bottle. Get a bottle tree and a vinator. It makes life SOOOO easy I can't even describe. It's really tons faster than other methods I tried before I got the tree/vinator combo. At this point I don't see me going into kegging any time in the near future.

Now to do my flip top bottles. I remove the flip top and drop them all in a small bucket or tupperware of sanitizer. Then when after I have a full case I go through and put all the cages back on. It's quick its easy and the best way I've found to do it because those tops are annoying when I use my vinator and bottle tree.

I usually save a bunch of empties and then just fill them in an ale pale filled with sanitizer, leave them to fully soak for about 5 minutes, drain, rinse in clean water and then hang them from the tree. i think this is very easy to do.

I use Iodophor, and do about a 2.5 to 3 gallon solution in a bucket, put (I think) 14 bottles in, fully submerged, and then do my siphoning from carboy to bottling bucket. Once that's done, first batch is MORE THAN sanitized, and i grab a few bottles, and replace them with more from the box.

Granted, only bottled 3 times, but haven't had a problem yet...I'm a total NOOB!

Latest posts

Back