Munich - Mash or Steep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edb

Reaction score
I was previously under the impression that Munich grains need to be mashed but now I read in Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles book that Munich can be steeped. So I ask the experts here.

I haven't done a mini mash yet so steeping for me would be the easy way out. I've started reading the mini mashing for the noob thread here and its a slight different take on Jamil's explanation on mini-mashing in his book but it should be easy enough to do.

If I have to do a mini mash do I need to add some base grains to help convert the Munich grains?

I was under the impression that all grains can be steeped for color and a head retention, but to fully utilize the grains to get fermentable sugars as well as more flavor and complexity than the steeping, grains had to mashed.

I think ChuckMoney is right. In the absence of conversion (i.e., mashing), aren't you just washing a bunch of starches into the wort? You might gain some color and some flavor this way, but its not the same contribution as would come from mashing. The exception are the crystal/caramel malts, which are already converted in the husk, so to speak, and are perfectly suited to steeping.

Munich can convert itself. No additional base grains are necessary.

Awesome thanks for the info and I was going to ask about the crystal so thanks for menitioning that as well.

Not to learn as much as I can about mini mashing.

You can mash or steep Munich. But if you steep at 150-158F for 30 minutes with say 1.3 qts/lbs of water you will have mashed them as well and it's a non-issue. ;)

Not to learn as much as I can about mini mashing.

I'm assuming you meant "now" to learn as much as you can...

If that's the case, just read this http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/extract/pres.pdf.

It's a fantastic paper on converting all grain recipes to partial mash and explains, quite succinctly, the ability of some grains (i.e. Munich) to convert themselves while others (i.e. oats) require either the diastatic power of other base grains to convert them or no conversion at all (i.e. crystal).

Thanks just printed that and will read it when I'm home from work.

Latest posts

Back