Immersion Pre-Chiller for eBiab?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KramE

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all.

Just completed an ebiab build. Now, as I've only done extract and one partial mash before, I have yet to acquire a wort chiller. I'm not going to spend more money on a pump and a counter flow chiller. So, that leaves immersion chillers.

I have no problem suspending the chiller just above or on the fittings/element, but my concern in fluid level. I'm doing 5 gallon batches in a 15 gallon pot. After doing quick math, that means 5 gallons will only be 5.6 in from the bottom. My fittings are 2 in from the bottom so that only leaves 3 in of fluid for the immersion chiller to sit in.

Most of the immersion chillers out the interwebs have a gap between the bottom of the chiller and where the coils are concentrated. Makes sense as heat rises.Because I have such little room to work with, I was considering a immersion pre-chiller Here that is made to chill tap water prior to entering into another chilling device.

My question after all that, any reason I just can't use that pre-chiller as a plain ole' chiller?

I also like that pre-chiller as it is tall enough to stick out of my 17" pot, whereas most chillers seem only to be 15" tall.

Or does anyone have a better mouse trap that doesn't involve a pump?

Thanks all!

That pre-chiller is of the same basic construction as the typical immersion chillers. I see no reason it wouldn't work.

I have a few buddies that choose to put their immersion chillers (that don't fit well in their keggles) in their fermenting buckets. They drain the wort hot in to the bucket with the immersion chiller in there. It seems to work quite well.

You could try a plate chiller with gravity. I've read more than a few threads here about it.

I have that same pre-chiller from MoreBeer. I've used it in an immersion chiller capacity before without any problems.

I have same problem. I think I am going to make my own mr malty chiller and double or triple up the coils at the bottom of my kettle. But I'm still not sure yet.

Back