2012 Yield

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mporter

Reaction score
So I just harvested my Hallertauer hops that I grow in my backyard. I typically do it the first Saturday of college football (in six days), but this year they seem ready earlier.

Long story short; crappy yield. Worst since I planted these. I'm in Vancouver, WA, and I didn't do anything different from last year, yet the yield was about 1/5 of last year. To be honest, I thought this would be a record yield for me since it's been progressing year after year.

Is anyone in the northwest seeing yields that are less than last year?

Thanks,

marty

They seem to level off a couple years after they're established and you're at the mercy of the growing season at that point. Some years are better than others, and some years just suck. Next year may be better. Have a beer or two, it's not the end of the world. I've had plenty of beers and the world just seems to keep going so I'm alright with that!!

have always loved your point of view on things b-hoppy. you are right. we(the grower and the plants) are at the mercy of nature. it is what it is. we as growers gotta try and enjoy the experience, use what we get and not sweat not getting the #'s one might have wanted.

Thanks 't', as you say "it is what it is". Ain't much we can do to change Ma Nature's plans. Good luck to you in your next chapter of life ~ make the best of it man!!

Back