what to do with a bunch of hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
I planted some hops this year. I didn't really do any research beforehand and planted the two kinds I use the most: cascade and EKG. Anyways, I have a bunch of questions now:

1. What can I do with fresh hops? Since I realize I won't know the AA, I figured I'd only use them on hoppy beers where if I overshot the IBU it would not matter. I could also do FWH, hop bursting, and hop tea. Anyone have any experience using EKG in this manner? I'd like to do an ESB or English IPA with a pretty massive EKG burst. Have never seen a recipe that really does this, maybe there's a reason?
2. Should I grow hops in order to brew massive hop bombs in the fall, or try to store hops for later use? I have 3 plants total. I just recently used some not-so-fresh hops and if that's what happens to them, count me out.
3. Does cascade really store as badly as I've now heard?

Thanks for any help.

1. For my first beer after harvest (other than a wet hop), I do a basic pale ale and use my homegrown hops as every addition. This gives me an idea of how bitter they are and then I can decide how much I want to use if I decide to use them for bittering hops. Mostly, I use mine for dryhops and for aroma, though.
2. I store my hops, but also do massive beers in the fall. Every fall, I like to brew a wet hopped ale the day I harvest. I'll pick whatever I need, right off the vine, and toss them in the beer as a flameout/aroma addition. You'll learn to love these types of beers. As for the rest of my stored hops, they usually last me through the year and I even give away a bunch to a few fellow brewers.
3. I have no problem with my cascades. I grow cascade, centennial, mt. hood, and willamette. All of them do fine with a year+ of aging. If you make sure you dry them properly, then vacuum seal them immediately and freeze...they'll be good until at least the next harvest.

I wouldn't expect much this year...you might get one beer out of your harvest. But, look forward to year three.

1. For my first beer after harvest (other than a wet hop), I do a basic pale ale and use my homegrown hops as every addition. This gives me an idea of how bitter they are and then I can decide how much I want to use if I decide to use them for bittering hops. Mostly, I use mine for dryhops and for aroma, though.
2. I store my hops, but also do massive beers in the fall. Every fall, I like to brew a wet hopped ale the day I harvest. I'll pick whatever I need, right off the vine, and toss them in the beer as a flameout/aroma addition. You'll learn to love these types of beers. As for the rest of my stored hops, they usually last me through the year and I even give away a bunch to a few fellow brewers.
3. I have no problem with my cascades. I grow cascade, centennial, mt. hood, and willamette. All of them do fine with a year+ of aging. If you make sure you dry them properly, then vacuum seal them immediately and freeze...they'll be good until at least the next harvest.

I wouldn't expect much this year...you might get one beer out of your harvest. But, look forward to year three.

1. So the AA will be roughly the same each year?
2. When you say learn to love, do you mean acquired taste?

1. So the AA will be roughly the same each year?
2. When you say learn to love, do you mean acquired taste?

No, the alpha and beta acids, along with the oil content will change from year to year depending on the conditions they're exposed to. I test my hops every year by making an initial beer that is light in flavor so that I get a good idea of how bitter they are.

Yes, I mean acquired taste. But, it won't take long to get used to it. It's completely different from a normally hopped beer, but it's incredible.

Back